• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to remove yellowing from collar?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some really nice shirts I bought from a thrift shop a while back, but I don't want to wear them because of the yellow stain around the collar. It isn't bad, so I figure there must be some way to remove it. Will Lestoil work? Any tricks/suggestions?

Any help would be appreciated!
spam[1].gif

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
... Spray 'N' Wash? I used it to get rid of some makeup stains from Halloween on one of my shirts. Worked wonders. I wasn't the one wearing the makeup though. My friend Kadie didn't think before hugging me when she was in body makeup. -_-

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Try soaking them for a day or two in a bucket with water and Oxiclean, then wash and hang dry.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, to above, with a very high concentration of the stuff. Pretreating with something like Shout may help as well.

Works for me.

trogdor

Reaction score
Spray and wash and Shout are good for treating fresh stains, but they won't remove older ones. Use Versaceman's method here: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ight=oxy+clean It's TRULY amazing -- I've yet to find a stain that this method won't remove, and it'll leave your colours looking bright and brand new, and your whites blindingly so.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And don't put your shirts in the dryer -- that only helps residual stains to set in.

MrRogers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Try soaking them for a day or two in a bucket with water and Oxiclean, then wash and hang dry.

Ditto. I've found that even with this method you'll never get all the yellow out. You need to scrub the cuffs and collars to prevent it in the first place.

I must say though the thought of wearing a shirt collar stained by anothers bodily fluids gives me the creeps.

MrR

lurker

Reaction score
Versaceman - what about for delicate clothes who are not supposed to be washed in hot hot water. And by soaking it in vinegar and all the other combinations for hours, I suppose it might do some damage to the texture of the more delicate clothes, or will it? Do you have any suggestion if say, if stains got on silk clothes?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lurker
Versaceman - what about for delicate clothes who are not supposed to be washed in hot hot water. And by soaking it in vinegar and all the other combinations for hours, I suppose it might do some damage to the texture of the more delicate clothes, or will it? Do you have any suggestion if say, if stains got on silk clothes?

I don't know about silk, but I would not try it.

This method works best on cotton items.

I have also used it to treat small spots on wool sweaters. However, I did not soak the sweater in vinegar, I just locally applied the concentrated oxyclean solution to the spot and let it soak for a few mins, then rinsed it out.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a first line of defense, I would try pouring your liquid detergent on the affected areas and wash as normal. I had some shirts that started to develop yellowness on the collar, and a couple cycles of doing this took it right out.

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lurker

I believe that there is a caution on the Oxyclean package that warns against use on silk.

Kasper

Reaction score
I would really like to recommend the Jos. A Bank Traveler's shirts for not getting any stains to begin with around the collar. I have been wearing 3 of these shirts a week for the last 2 months while traveling for work without any sign of discoloration.

lurker

Reaction score
Instead of treating the stains after it happens, is there anything on the market that can pre-treat collars of different types of clothes to minimize the chance of sweat stains, etc?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads