• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to leave a job?

Man In Space

Reaction score
Besides urinating on the boss' desk and slapping the president's secretary on the rear on your way out the door, what is the best way to leave a job?

I will most likely be resigning from my current position to take a much better one elsewhere. I will be leaving on good terms for the most part. My boss has been somewhat of a mentor to me and I am very grateful for the experience that he has helped me gain.

What's the best way to break the news that I am leaving? I'm not arrogant enough to think that I am irreplaceable, but he has invested a lot of time, energy and training in me and I will be leaving at sort of a bad time - company is understaffed and overloaded with work/projects. My leaving will most likely impact the company, especially him, to a somewhat serious degree for several months at least.

How should I handle this?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I was going to recommend the first two things you mentioned until I realized you were joking. Damn.

You should probably break the news to your boss as a friend and really lay it all out for him. He'll probably appreciate the full explanation and understand your decision more. Also give him a set date when you do break the news so he does have time to try to find your replacement. I've had a few friends try to quit jobs before and have stayed several weeks/months extra because their boss "really needed them." They did so as friends but it was to the point of abuse. The other details, such as helping to train your replacement, really depends on how deep you want to set yourself into this. Professionally, however, I'd think it a bad idea but I'll leave it to you.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
yeah Id say take boss out for lunch or something before sending the fateful email. Thank him for all he is done and tell him sincerely and one-to-one that its time to move on. Keep it sincere, and even mildly personal, since you are personally grateful for his assistance, and then send the letter later.

Stax

Reaction score
Use up your vacation time immediately before giving notice.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was going to say, get some huge loudspeakers on the back of a pickup truck and play Johnny Paycheck's "Take this Job and Shove It" in the parking lot outside your boss's office, but I think the desk-urinating idea has more panache.

The main thing is, don't burden yourself with guilt about leaving. Change like this happens, all the time, and is just part of business.

Let him know how much you appreciate your tenure there, explain the great new opportunity you're taking (which I assume he's not going to be able to match), and make it clear you want to leave on good terms, that you'll keep in touch, etc.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're leaving for a better opportunity, make it clear that this is one you can't pass up, and it was a tough decision to leave. A good boss will realize that you're headed for bigger and better things and will wish you well.

Be sure to stand on a stable chair a modest distance away from the desk upon which you plan to urinate. That way none of the splash gets on your trousers.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I know someone who actually did the urinating on your boss' desk routine. Understandably he never did ask for a referal....

ATM

Reaction score
All this talk about urinating on desks is disgusting. Shame on all of you. Everyone knows that the proper and honorable thing to do is take a dump in the top desk drawer.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Off-topic, but my father — in the midst of splitting with his second wife — took a dump in the grand piano he'd bought her. He was so proud of himself!!! (And people wonder why I am effed up.)

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently left a company that I had been with for 7 years, (well it's been 5 months now so not so recent). While I wouldn't consider my former boss a mentor he and I had a good relationship even outside of the office. I think the best thing to do is be very upfront and honest about why you are moving on and thank him for everything he's done, etc. If the job is truly a better move on your part he should understand why you are leaving. When I resigned, by boss and the president of my division both told me they didn't want me to leave but they completely understand why I was doing so and both told me they thought I was making an excelent move.

As far as how much notice to give, how long to stay and train others I think that depends on your situation. I would establish your last day as soon as possible. Make it a day you both can live with and then stick to it. Be as accommodating as you can, but don't let them guilt you into doing anything you don't feel comfortable with.

It will be awkward at first to resign but just remember you have to do what's best for you. Good luck.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of good advice above. I'd just go straight to the boss and tell him that you've decided to leave the company (assuming you have a firm offer in hand). He'll exclaim surprise, and then you can tell him where you're going and that the opportunity is one you think you could not pass up. Make sure you are ready for him to try to get you to stay, whether by pursuasion (easy to fend off, generally) or by a promotion and additional salary (harder to fend off). Be ready for the latter and how much, if at all, you can be "bought" for. It may not happen -- your boss may be well aware that you're a rising star and it'd be hard to hold on to you -- but be ready for it either way. If he's going to get a reference-check call, be sure to mention it during the initial conversation (another reason to handle a resignation with velvet gloves on).

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Be really careful about accepting a counter-offer. It's like coming back to your wife after sleeping around a bit--- you may never get the same level of trust. So be firm about saying no, or be prepared to stay on for another 2-3 years if you say yes.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I recently resigned from a job, too. My boss saw himself as the "father" in our small office and believed that he treated his employees like family. I was worried that he might take my resignation as a rejection of him as a person, so I told him at 4:45 on a Friday afternoon. He was disappointed that I was leaving, but wished me well. In fact, he asked to keep me on retainter as a consultant.

I realize that most of the posters talking about urinating on the desk are meant in jest, but as satsifying as it might be to "tell" the boss off, I find that I never know who I might need something from in a few years, or who might become a future referral source. I wouldn't burn any bridges.

Just my two cents.

Bic

Man In Space

Reaction score
I informed my boss of the situation on Friday morning - he congratulated me and wished me good luck. He seemed to realize that I was ready to move on to something bigger and better.
He stopped me on my way out the door later that day and told me to consider over the weekend what it would take for me to stay.
Interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads