Best way to learn Italian?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Bentech, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Bentech

Bentech Active Member

So I'm an engineering student.

Through a series of lucky connections and co-incidences, I potentially have an opportunity for an awesome internship next summer in Italy.

It's a long story, and I haven't slept in about 24 hours, so I probably can't explain it in a cohesive manner right now.

Point it, I have from now until about next April to learn semi-functional Italian. How would you go about this?

I am fairly fluent in French, hopefully some background with a romantic language will help.

I have been recommended Rosetta Stone. Does anyone have experience with it? Does it work? Anything better?

As I already said, I am crashing pretty hard, but I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas or advice?

Thanks in advance,
    Ben

2. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Find an Italian deli--one with actual Italians--and go there every day for lunch until next April.

Italian is relatively easy to learn. Knowing Spanish would be more helpful than French.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

3. willpower

willpower Senior member

Had to review some of these systems for a company I had worked for. Was not impressed by Rosetta Stone. The most effective program I found was the Michel Thomas Method. He makes it so easy to construct sentences.

http://www.michelthomas.co.uk/courses.php

As you learn phrases, write them down on index cards with the English translation on the other side and quiz yourself.

I'd also encourage you to get a book called "Wicked Italian" and keep it in the bathroom.

http://www.amazon.com/Wicked-Italian-Traveler-English/dp/0894806173

Also, watch Italian comedies to get an ear for the sound of the language "Divorce Italian Style" is on Youtube and it's really funny.

Italians love it when foreigners attempt to speak Italian. You'll hear a lot of "Bravo!" after you say something.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011

4. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

My mother lived in Italy during the 1970s and became fluent. She lost her ear for it over the decades. We went to Italy as a family in the early 2000s and she would struggle with conversation. One night on our trip we had dinner with an Italian family. My mother started drinking and became completely fluent again after a few hours. It was amazing.

5. Quatsch

Quatsch Senior member

Get an Italian woman - best way to learn the language.

Probably much more aeasily accomplished when you're already there, though.

6. Bentech

Bentech Active Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll start hunting for a lunch spot tomorrow.

Willpower - Thanks for the lead to Michael Thomas, looks really good!

Anyone else have any recommendations?

7. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

worked for me.... Italian girlfriend + one summer = passable Italian!

8. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    fantastic advice, thanks

9. dzianbulwa

dzianbulwa Member

10. Bentech

Bentech Active Member

I'm planning on doing this as soon as I am back in Ottawa this fall. I'm looking for something I can start myself over the next month of so.

11. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I am listening to michael thomas now, i'll let you know how it goes

12. Jdeansmith11

Jdeansmith11 Well-Known Member

Find an Italian lover or buy Rosetta Stone?

13. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    I had very good luck with berlitz. old-school, i know, but what did you expect from me? after a while of that, i joined a conversational italian club that met every couple weeks for dinner. that helped a lot, too. actually, knowing some spanish turned into a real problem for me with italian -- precisely because the languages are so similar in construction, but inverse in pronunciation. "si" and "se", etc. and i never have gotten the hang of appropriate use of reflexive verbs.
    but as someone pointed out earlier, the italians are not french and they still appreciate someone making the effort.

14. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

I did the Michel T thing before coming here. He's OK, and quite a unique methodology possibly.
    Anyway, unless you absolutely can't come here to learn, which is obviously the best solution, as someone said, get an Italian woman, listen to Italian radio (24 is good for talk, business, economy, culture etc), watch movies (some decent modern releases out there), hang in that deli. Anything you can, basically. At least try to fit in a week to 10-day holiday here before April.
    Also, find an Italian who wants to perfect their English and do an intercambio: you talk for 30' in English then she talks 30' in Ital. Free and useful.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011