• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to keep back and sides more flat

kookydooky

Reaction score
Without having to sleep on it which gives the look I want

I just got a haircut and the best way to describe it is zoolander (its really the only style thats somewhat worked for me) but I dont nessesarily just have it spiked around like that. Usually its more of a messy spike/straight look but its mainly my sides which annoy me which tend to be more boofy.

Any tips on fixing this?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get your hair thinned and stop washing it so often

kookydooky

Reaction score
Yep my hair was thinned out quite a fair bit but iwth the not washing part, wouldnt my hair product just build up like crazy?

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can rinse your hair with water. Just don't use shampoo.

keikun13

Reaction score
I sometimes get the same problem when my hair is longer. The trick I use that my stylist taught me is to blowdry after taking a shower and sort of blowdry the area you want with your hand on it at an angled position so the hot air hits that spot. Kinda hard to describe, but it works for me.

breakdown

Reaction score
After I shower and towel dry my hair, i put the product in then tie a bandanna (rolled up, kinda like karate kid) around my head for about 15 minutes while I cook/eat breakfast. Sort of stumbled on this technique this summer, saw a guy with a bandanna on playing tennis and realized it was a good way to keep my freshly longer hair out of my face and sweat from dripping down, plus it looked good. I wore it like this to the beach once and when my hair dried and I took it off it looked amazing, so I added it to my routine.

Just make sure the handkerchief or bandanna isn't too thin of a fabric, I tried that once and it leaves an indentation around the head.

redgrail

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I was the only guy with this problem! hahaha... Just get your hair cut every 6 weeks and get the sides and back thinned out. That should take care of it.

Casey

Reaction score
I used to put a beanie on in the morning during the fall and winter.

My friends stopped bitching about how I didn't care enough about my hair.

AndrewS

Reaction score
I wash my hair with just conditioner every other day - helps to weigh it down.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics