• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Way to Fund a Master's Degree

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I had a midlife crisis moment the other day and fell in love with a Strategic Communications Master's program at George Washington U. It can be done all online, and it looks like I could get in pretty easily, based on my initial interview with the admissions adviser. Based on my management experience, I can even bypass the GRE. The program is aimed at working professionals and would enhance my value and skillset tremendously, I believe, and set me up in a good way for the rest of my career.

The problem is that I don't like the idea of taking on another $60k or so in debt, even if is deferred until two years from now, when I would finish the program. Plus the federal loan program is pretty expensive, currently 6.8%, which I think is high for an education loan.

The best bet is to get a job someplace where the employer pays for all or part of it. But that's not in the offing right now, unfortunately. So I was wondering, are there better alternatives? My wife makes pretty good money, so I don't qualify as a needy student. But at the same time I don't have a pot to piss in.

msza

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sell drugs.

Nah, many jobs offer stipends such as: Work for us for 2 years after you graduate, and we'll pay 50% of your school expenses. Years and percentages vary, of course. I am finishing a Master's in May, and this is the route I'm expecting to take.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hold a Bake Sale?

Unless it was for an MD or DO there's no way I'd get into hock for $60K.

Benzito

Reaction score
Tell us again, why isn't your wife going to pay? She'll get the benefit of your higher income for her investment, assuming you don't divorce.

Alternatively, read that post in CE about the government forgiving loans.

pwy95a

Reaction score
If you're senior in your role (and it sounds like you are), then you're likely hard-pressed to make the mathematical ROIC work out in your favor (acknowledging that ROIC for a masters degree isn't by any means a perfect analysis). Given that assumption, the pursuit of the degree is to fulfill personal objectives more than professional ones.

That said, I'd dig for gold in two specific areas:

1. Private scholarships - there's a ton of private money out there for education
2. Your current employer - consider nutting up and taking them to the table; if you believe in the value of this degree and your rationale is sound, then they should at least consider it

ms244

Reaction score
Apply for a PhD in said field
Get stipend and school paid for because no one wants to be a PhD
Once you have met the requirements for a masters, drop out and apply for graduation
Send me case of 15 year old bourbon

Its not that hard really

Threak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$60K for an online degree doesn't sound right. Is that figure what it would cost to include living expenses so you can stop working and focus on school full-time for those two years?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ms244
Apply for a PhD in said field Get stipend and school paid for because no one wants to be a PhD Once you have met the requirements for a masters, drop out and apply for graduation
I know a few people who got their Master's through this route. But, is there a PhD for Communications? WTF kind of bullshit degree is that? It's like a PhD in talking.

ms244

Reaction score
It works for hard sciences, can't speak for anything else.

I still want my case of bourbon if it works.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threak
$60K for an online degree doesn't sound right. Is that figure what it would cost to include living expenses so you can stop working and focus on school full-time for those two years?

I'm just figuring it on a napkin. You are looking at something like $3k per class, so it might be more, might be less than $60k, at any rate it would be a signficant debt and north of 50k payable at 6.8 percent interest added to my already highly leveraged situation. You take one class at a time for 2 years until you are done.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoilerRoom
Do not pay this much for an online degree.

That's a bargain compared to how much they charge their regulars. IIRC, it's one of the most expensive -- if not the most expensive -- schools in the East Coast.

mccvi

Reaction score
You find yourself in a position that most others are in, in fact a better position given you have marital income to count on. Given that I find it hard to believe you will find any exception to what everyone else has to deal with, e.g. incurring debt.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP, if you're in a mid-life crisis then I assume you're not familiar with what education has become in the last 20, even 10 years. People from the last generation hold education, even undergraduate degrees, in very high regard and think they're worth almost any cost, the more expensive the better. In reality, and I know this is hard to believe, the majority of modern degrees, online or at actual state universities, are scams that intentionally try to extract the most possible money out of their students... and an older or middle-aged person is their prime target because of their naivete. Every white trash yokel can go to college now, it's not what it used to be. Undergrad has become the new high school. Take a VERY hard look to see if this degree will actually help you, in all likelihood, these 'skills' degrees won't, they're just meaningless feathers in your cap. Only the most technical or professional degrees that have some sort of exam at the end (JD, MD) are really worth it, so I agree with this:
Originally Posted by willpower
Unless it was for an MD or DO there's no way I'd get into hock for $60K.
BTW, most of us who graduated law school got federal loans at the rate you describe, and are debts are in the vicinty of 110k+. The insane interest rate of the federal loan, which you noted, is just the beginning of the scam...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads