• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Way to Donate Clothes

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some sack suits that are pretty nice quality that I paid $350 for or so but they just don't really fit all that well. I tried selling on ebay and I had several watchers but no takers. I just want to donate them and try to get a tax cut out of it.

How does that work? How much can I deduct for them?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
You have to estimate a value, which iirc is based on "thrift store value". I think the actual deducation you get is at 50% of that, but I can't recall off-hand. If your in-kind donations for the year exceed more than a certain amount (maybe $500) you need to have receipts. Most charitable organizations that take donations will just issue you a receipt with the space for value left blank, and leave it to you to fill in the estimated the value.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried selling them for $75 on ebay, maybe I'll try selling them again for $65.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Or..... alternatively..... I can PM you my address.
smile.gif

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to try to sell them on ebay again unless you are serious. I can send you pics of the suits. They are all 42L. My tailor told me that this was my size before I knew a thing about clothes. As it turns out, I'm more of a 41R but the shoulders fit me on the 40R. The 42L looks WAY too old skool on me. I had to buy the suits for a job I had gotten last year that required a dress code so I bought 3: a black with subtle stripes, a navy pin stripe and a gray. I also had them altered to take out the pant pleats, which cost a pretty penny as well.

I should have come to this site but I didn't.
plain.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads