• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best way to cook steak on a regular electric stove?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The only thing more Old SF would be Jack's (closed), Ernie's (closed), Vanessi's (closed), or Tadich, where you can still get the original recipe Parisian Bakery San Francisco sourdough.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Still, that does sound great. I do miss Tosca. Since my parents moved, I never go there any more.
frown.gif
I'm still bitter about the move.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So does Original Joe's rank in the "Things SF would like to forget" category, or what? Somebody here liked OJ's so much, they cloned it as the 13 Coins restaurants.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
So does Original Joe's rank in the "Things SF would like to forget" category, or what? Somebody here liked OJ's so much, they cloned it as the 13 Coins restaurants.

It was sort of a diner+ back in the day, already fading when I was a kid. By the '80s, it's safe to say it was coasting on its reputation.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Jack's, in its current incarnation, is still pretty good. They make a mean hamburger for lunch, a great steak tartare and an excellent cassoulet. It is, however, not Jacks.

Some of the Joe's still have loyal local followings, but the hair is mainly blue.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Jack's, in its current incarnation, is still pretty good.
Yeah, it's a nice, classy, good, expensive restaurant. But it's ... not Jack's.

Wait, you said that.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is how lazy people (i.e. me) reliably and easily produce delicious steaks:

1. Put whatever crap you like on the outside (for me, a thin coating of oil, bit of salt, bit of pepper)

2. Sear all sides in a cast iron pan until you get however much crust you're fond of

3. Pop the pan into a 250 degree oven, putting a digital probe thermometer right in the middle

4. Set the thermometer for 135 degrees, watch something manly to get the flesh-hunger up, and take the thing out when the alarm goes off

5. Let it rest for 15 minutes or so and enjoy

Yes, there are various fine tunings that can be made, but this method produces with absolute reliability delicious steaks, with a minimum of effort.

Incidentally, although cast iron has to be seasoned initially and, if you're a clean freak, is harder to take care of, I would put it against any Le All Creuset Clad candyassery any day of the week for all but the most specialized of applications.

Also, as far as seasoning goes, just go to an estate sale or ask old relatives if they have any old cast iron stuff they don't use and you've skipped that step.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
We also occupy top spots for "bicast leather", "how to grow sideburns" (and variations) and a couple other oddities.

I can imagine some of those....

Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
This is how lazy people (i.e. me) reliably and easily produce delicious steaks:

1. Put whatever crap you like on the outside (for me, a thin coating of oil, bit of salt, bit of pepper)

2. Sear all sides in a cast iron pan until you get however much crust you're fond of

3. Pop the pan into a 250 degree oven, putting a digital probe thermometer right in the middle

4. Set the thermometer for 135 degrees, watch something manly to get the flesh-hunger up, and take the thing out when the alarm goes off

5. Let it rest for 15 minutes or so and enjoy

Yes, there are various fine tunings that can be made, but this method produces with absolute reliability delicious steaks, with a minimum of effort.

Incidentally, although cast iron has to be seasoned initially and, if you're a clean freak, is harder to take care of, I would put it against any Le All Creuset Clad candyassery any day of the week for all but the most specialized of applications.

Also, as far as seasoning goes, just go to an estate sale or ask old relatives if they have any old cast iron stuff they don't use and you've skipped that step.

135? It depends on thickness, of course, but I expect it would overcook while it rests?

~ Huntsman

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I can imagine some of those....

135? It depends on thickness, of course, but I expect it would overcook while it rests?

~ Huntsman

I take it off the pan to rest, so not usually. Also as you say I do tend to prefer pretty thick steaks.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
So does Original Joe's rank in the "Things Tokyo Slim would like to forget" category, or what? Somebody here liked OJ's so much, they cloned it as the 13 Coins restaurants.

Fixed. That notion is likely from the 2006 pre-Christmas road trip thread in which I recommended Original Joe's as offering a good hamburger. The recommendation was seconded. But Tokyo Slim lacerated his mouth with the French bread crust of the hamburger at Joe's and lamented about the absence of salt and pepper at Tommy's Joynt. Eating anything other than a hamburger at the counter of Original Joe's is a waste of time and money.

You gents never did report on the girls of Glide Memorial.

We had an old San Francisco night last night. Drinks at Tosca, steak (my wife had au Poivre) at Alfred's and ice cream at Swensens. Only thing better would have been if the Blue Fox was still there, instead of Alfred's. It got me in the mood, I think I am going to have lunch at Swan Oyster Depot on Monday.

Originally Posted by Manton
The only thing more Old SF would be Jack's (closed), Ernie's (closed), Vanessi's (closed), or Tadich, where you can still get the original recipe Parisian Bakery San Francisco sourdough.

Still, that does sound great. I do miss Tosca. Since my parents moved, I never go there any more.
frown.gif
I'm still bitter about the move.

Old San Francisco? Since steak is still the theme of the thread, we used to eat our steak at Grisson's on Van Ness Avenue. When the first Trader Vic's was in Cosmo Alley, Kobe beef was on the menu.

__

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jack's, in its current incarnation, is still pretty good. They make a mean hamburger for lunch, a great steak tartare and an excellent cassoulet. It is, however, not Jacks.

Some of the Joe's still have loyal local followings, but the hair is mainly blue.

There is an Original Joe's in downtown San Jose, next to the old Hotel Santa Ana.

I've passed the place before, but never gone in. The exterior has this appealing mid-century period-piece look about it.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Fixed. That notion is likely from the 2006 pre-Christmas road trip thread in which I recommended Original Joe's as offering a good hamburger. The recommendation was seconded. But Tokyo Slim lacerated his mouth with the French bread crust of the hamburger at Joe's and lamented about the absence of salt and pepper at Tommy's Joynt. Eating anything other than a hamburger at the counter of Original Joe's is a waste of time and money.

You gents never did report on the girls of Glide Memorial.
__

Haha, I had forgotten about that. I got the Joe's special as I wanted to try "the original" version of it, and it was pretty good. I can't remember which one Tommy's was now, but a couple of the places we went to eat were quirky and cool but lacking good food. No big deal, we survived.

I don't remember anything about Glide Memorial... were we supposed to check it out? The girls in SF were generally pretty attractive and friendly compared to here, but that's all I can really report about that.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
Tokyo Slim lacerated his mouth with the French bread crust of the hamburger at Joe's and lamented about the absence of salt and pepper at Tommy's Joynt.

Yeah, that "bread" caught me by surprise. I wasn't expecting it to be full of razor blades.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not read every post here, so sorry if I am repeating, but here is my technique, and it's very effective: Preheat oven to 400 Preheat grill pan on stove Season the steak w/ salt, pepper, etc. Put the steak on the grill pan, for about 1-2 minutes / side Finish in oven for about 6 more minutes, depending on thickness of steak and desired doneness. OR... you could sous vide
wink.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
OR, you could rip out the useless electric burners and under-plates and build a proper fire in the oven underneath and grill the steak like proper men.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads