best way to cook steak on a regular electric stove?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by GQgeek, Sep 5, 2006.

1. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Short loin tenderloin (ie Filet Mignon) is actually one of the higher fat content cuts you can get. I swear. Someone will link with confirmation, I'm sure of it...

2. Histrion

Histrion Senior member

As for meat in MontrÃ[​IMG]al, perhaps there are farmers selling their own meat in the markets? I know that in QuÃ[​IMG]bec City, at the MarchÃ[​IMG] du Vieux-Port, there is a guy selling his own biological beef. I once bought some of it, and it was quite good.

3. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Provigo and Metro have a higher grade of dog meat. I think there might be some jewish delis on St. Laurent that are good... but that's a bit out of the way.

Ask Queue de Cheval where they get their steak.

I doubt they'd tell you because you can actually buy your steaks from Queue de Cheval, but that's a bit overkill cause they naturally mark it up more than if you got it from a good butcher.

4. Violinist

Violinist Senior member

I doubt they'd tell you because you can actually buy your steaks from Queue de Cheval, but that's a bit overkill cause they naturally mark it up more than if you got it from a good butcher.

Well i'm sure if you get to know a waiter it's possible.

5. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

So I did my first steak on my new lodge pan last night, what a difference! I got grill marks and everything. It actually looked like a steak prepared in a restaurant. Kudos to Stax for the recommendation.

6. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I use my Lodge more than all my All-Clad pans combined. Cast iron is truly what God would cook with -- well, other than His laser vision eye beam.

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

Oh and the smoke was really bad... Does this mean it was perhaps too hot? The oil was smoking before I put the steak on but after I put the steak on smoke filled the apartment pretty quickly (almost like a fog machine). The steak was still a lot better than on my old pan but I think I can do better. Oh and I was using canola oil. I'm thinking it was too hot so I'll try it at a lower temp tonight.

8. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Yeah, too hot. Canola's smoke point is extremely high, and even for searing, you don't need that much heat.

9. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Real Japanese Kobe is still illegal in the US, but I'm not sure about Canada.

I had real Kobe on my last trip to Hong Kong. I'm also a very lean meat, cut off all the fat guy and was concerned when I saw that marbled monster. No need for the concern.

It's definitiely a different kind of fat and it's definitely fantastic beef. We had it in a Japanese restaurant and they sliced it thin and then seared. Really, really good. Definitely no "fatty" taste. I found that I didn't mind the smaller portions, because the beef is very good. I'd say the same for home use. I couldn't imagine eating more than 6oz in one sitting.

You can buy wagyu online if your butcher doesn't carry it.

10. Stax

Stax Senior member

So I did my first steak on my new lodge pan last night, what a difference! I got grill marks and everything. It actually looked like a steak prepared in a restaurant. Kudos to Stax for the recommendation.

happy to help.

11. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Those who are interested in Wagyu and ever stop by Tokyo, I recommend Imahan, it's a chain with several locations around Tokyo that does Wagyu sukiyaki and steaks. Reasonable prices for what it is, as in 5000Y-10,000Y a head. The beef literally melts in your mouth. I ate at the one in Shinjuku Takashimaya Times Square (9F or 10F? forgot) and it was probably the best beef experience in my life and will be going back shortly.

I really really want one of those Lodge pans.

12. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

Real Japanese Kobe is still illegal in the US,

Really? What's the rationale?

13. Stax

Stax Senior member

Really? What's the rationale?

mad cow disease import bans

14. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

<Slaps head with hand> I knew that, for some reason I was not thinking of Kobe as BEEF, go figure.

Regards,
    Huntsman

15. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

A bit back towards the original topic, are there any particular cuts you guys find work better than others when pan frying and finishing in the oven?

[edit]

Well, that's an unimpressive thousandth post.