• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to clean white canvas sneakers? Also desert boots?

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1st post in the forum...

I recently bought these and have worn them a couple of times (Blue swoosh)
http://uscheckout.apc.fr/browse.cfm/4,137.html

I have searched the forum and realize most people like to wear canvas shoes (particularly chucks) a bit dirty, but these shoes are strying to get dirty in the canvas and sole, and I'm don't think it looks appropriate for this style of shoe. I mostly have worn leather sneakers through my entire life, so this is my first real experience with canvas...

What's the best way to wash canvas shoes like this? Washing bashine, spot cleaning, etc?

In addition, I got a pair of desert boots from Barneys co-op (pic is not online yet). I understand desert boots are supposed to get that worn in look. How do you guys care for them?

Thanks

TJS1589

Reaction score
The canvas shoes I'm pretty sure you can just thrown in the washer. The desert boots though I am not quite sure.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TJS1589
The canvas shoes I'm pretty sure you can just thrown in the washer. The desert boots though I am not quite sure.

Washing machine won't mess up the construction of the shoes?

Bsides

Reaction score
basicly ya rock em dirty or buy new ones. hopefully you didnt pay tons of money for canvas shows.

Oxnard

Reaction score
I dunno about the canvas, but if you are concerned about getting the desert boots dirty (I am assuming that they are suede) the best thing to do is, from the start before you even wear them, to get some suede protectorant spray. They sell that kinda stuff at big department shops (ala nordstroms, barneys, Macys, NM, etc.), but if you have any kind of a cobbler nearby I would take them there, as they tend to be the most knowledgeable about shoe-material cleaning (especially with suede).

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
depending on the kind of shoe, white canvas sneakers can bleed yellow all over the shoes from the midsole when washed, and then they're ruined for good. This is true of Vans true whites, etc. I've seen it happen often and don't like to machine wash white canvas sneakers. Converse All Stars aren't prone to this in my experience.

brohymn

Reaction score
Guess that's what you get for buying over-hyped, bland, 140 dollar canvas nikes

Francis91

Reaction score
A brush, soap and water is all I've ever needed to keep my JPs clean.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by brohymn
Guess that's what you get for buying over-hyped, bland, 140 dollar canvas nikes

I love the shoes; very clean look. I think they were a good buy. I just have to keep them reasonably clean.

I'll probably go to town on these tonight / tomorrow with some water, soap, etc and maybe some white shoe cleaner for touch ups.

lemon

Reaction score
To clean my white vans I:
stuff paper towel in the shoes so the inside doesnt get wet and remove the laces
wet the outside with cold water
get a bowl of hot water and soap
use the hot water/soap to clean the shoes using a brush
let them dry
???
profit

lyubm

Reaction score
How exactly dry cleaning works? I took my canvas loafers to dry cleaner and he refused to take them, anyone have experience with dry cleaning and canvas shoes? Shoes i'm talking about have leather lining inside and canvas outside, basically inner layer is leather and canvas on top of it, when i tried washing them myself, leather bleeding through canvas and it's game over.
Is there any hope getting leather bleeding stains off canvas? Leather touching canvas so wet washing won't work.

ConcernedParent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Throw em in the washer; they will shrink a bit though. And if the laces are not white, take em off, they will stain the shoe.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
back in my restaurant days, i would run my white chucks through the hobart

came out wet, but nearly white as new

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics