• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to clean Rick Owens Sneakers?

edgedilla

Reaction score
Purchased geobaskets couple weeks back, just wondering how you guys would send some tips to clean the soles/the whole shoe!

RoleyAnderson

Reaction score
There's a few things you can do to clean shoes and keep them clean for longer:

1) Get some rubbing alcohol and wipe/pat at the spots to remove them (i.e. 70% works well, 90% works really well, but either may remove the finish from your shoes depending on if they are leather or artificial vinyl/polyurethane leather).

2) Mix some baking soda and water to make a paste and scrub at the shoes with a toothbrush.

3) Get a shoe cleaner and follow instructions. There are many brands out there including Kiwi, Cadillac, Sof Sole, SKUFF etc. You can also use those bleach/stain markers for laundry - they work pretty well. SKUFF is actually a protectant that comes with towelettes for cleaning shoes, so you get two-for-the-price-of-one.

4) Wash them in a washer. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS THOUGH! Washing shoes in a washer slowly deteriorates the shoe by wearing away at the materials, fading colors, and removing antibacterial within the shoe that prevents your shoes from stinking and you from contracting athlete's foot, etc. If you want to wash them, soak them in a bucket with laundry detergent and scrub at them. Even if you soak/scrub them, you'll still have to get an antibacterial (i.e. Dr. Scholl's, etc.) to use. Either way, I don't really recommend it.

Once your shoes are clean, I recommend getting something to protect them from here on in. You got a few options:

1) Waxes/Polishes - I don't recommend. First, your shoes are probably synthetic leather and waxes aren't made for synthetic. They don't last more than a week either, and you need to keep buying and applying, costing you time and money.

2) Waterproofing/Protectant/Silicone sprays - I don't recommend either. Again, they work on synthetic, but aren't made for it, and you need to keep buying and applying for any benefit.

3) Protective finishes - I RECOMMEND SKIPPING THE OTHER TWO AND GOING WITH THIS. Protective finishes for shoes are just coming to market now, they're made specifically for synthetic and work really well on leather too, they water/stain/dirt proof your shoes permanently, can add a permanent shine (if that's your thing), protect from scuff marks and damage, and last for years off one application. I'd recommend SKUFF Protective Coatings (because they're the pioneers, offer the best product, and come with cleaning towelettes). PCA Shoe Care offers a line as well.

Hope they come out nice! Good luck!

slainbabyyc

Reaction score
just wanted to reply tyour dumb ass to say that he's talking about a 1,500$ pair of sneakers not 'synthetic leather'

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics