• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best way to clean/polish old cufflinks?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple of lots of vintage cufflinks on ebay. Most are in great condition, but might need a little polishing/cleaning - some are stained, dull, etc.

What's the best way to clean and polish them?

Jferg4350

Reaction score
I have this jewelry cleaner that has a little tray that you put the jewelry on and then dip into the solution. It works pretty good, I'm sure you can find something similar at many places.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any more tips?

this is styleforum, there's gotta be a detailed and sf-approved method.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Get an ultrasonic cleaner

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any preferred chemical cleaning solutions?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by koolhistorian
Tooth polish or tooth paste goes great with silver!

+1. Great for removing tarnish and bringing back shine to silver, apply with an old toothbrush and scrub away! Otherwise, I use dishwashing soap (again, applied with an old toothbrush) to remove light surface dirt.

cuffthis

Reaction score
I have sent a link to this thread to my friend Derek Anastasia. His collection of antique enamel cuff links makes mine look small.

He should respond soon.

FYI, Derek's web site is http://www.enamelcufflinks.com/

Collector23

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I bought a couple of lots of vintage cufflinks on ebay. Most are in great condition, but might need a little polishing/cleaning - some are stained, dull, etc.

What's the best way to clean and polish them?

Sunshine cloth and a bit of elbow grease usually works for me!

Derek

Reaction score
Hey Gents,

Sorry for the late reply as requested by my long-time comrade in cuffs, Sir Thomas of CuffThis.

To note ... the word "cufflinks" is correctly spelled as two words ... cuff links ... according to Merriam-Webster dictionary.

As to whipping these miniature works of art into wearable cuff presentation shape. Personally, 99% of my old enamel cuff links, whether on gold, sterling or base metal, pay a visit to the jewelry polisher/cleaner. I do not like any hints of patina or signs of use to the metal -- polishing with a cloth or several other of the methods mentioned above will not completely alleviate those conditions. Only the following will....

Marco Delano Fine Jewelry Polishing located on 47th street in Manhattan. I've been using him for 23 years and he's considered the BEST on the street as we say in Gotham.

What he does for me is threefold:

Step 1. Polishes the cuff link's metal to a mirrorlike finish using a motorized jeweler's buffing wheel. This removes all patina, scratches and dings that have occurred over time due to usage. Luster and cleanliness is at its absolute highest.

Step 2. Deep cleans the cuff links with high pressure hot steam. This removes all residue left on the cuff links from the polishing process.

Step 3. Optional depending ... many of the base metal cuff links were plated with nickel (a silver color look) and when polished it is removed by the wheel -- there is no way around this. Today, rhodium is used for silver plating. I then have it dipped in the rhodium plating to restore the original look to the cuff links. And voila ... a pristine pair.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Enamely yours,

Derek

Please visit my informational website @ ..... www.EnamelCuffLinks.com
" Your one & only e-source for news and information on e-namel Cuff Links "

cuffthis

Reaction score
FYI, Derek is the PREMIER collector of antique enamel cuff links in the world.

For interested cuff link collectors, please cut and paste his comments for future reference.

Trust me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads