Best Way To Bring Money Overseas

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by af1snaikboi, Mar 7, 2011.

1. af1snaikboi

af1snaikboi Senior member

Are AMEX traveler's checks the best way to bring money overseas? (To Paris)

My bank (BofA) does have a partnership with BNP which will allow me free atm uses, but am wondering if I will get stung on the exchange rate?

Thanks

2. scourage

scourage Senior member

no they are not.

They are relics from the days when atms were not as common as today and people feared carrying 1000's of dollars. you have to pay for them right? and who really wants to accept a travellers check. I sure as hell wouldn't want to. Don't think banks screw you on the exchange rate. im sure you can look it up

Are AMEX traveler's checks the best way to bring money overseas? (To Paris)

My bank (BofA) does have a partnership with BNP which will allow me free atm uses, but am wondering if I will get stung on the exchange rate?

Thanks

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

amex credit card

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Some cash in the local currency and a credit card. I'm travelling in a few days and I'll carry mostly my Amex and maybe 50 euro.

5. hooya2

hooya2 Senior member

in a suitcase

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I use an ATM, carry a small amount of cash

7. Sazerac

Sazerac Senior member

The exchange rates from ATM's overseas are almost always better than what you can get changing currency in the U.S. before you depart. Change no more than you'll need for the first few hours in country, enough for cab fare and a bite to eat. Then hit up an ATM (not at the airport) when you arrive in the city where you're staying. (Also, don't exchange money at the hotel desk.)

8. syracuse1976

syracuse1976 Senior member

Use a Capital One credit card. They are one of the few (if not the only one) who charge no foreign transaction fees. Their elite card, the Venture, offers good perks on top of this.

9. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

Use a Capital One credit card. They are one of the few (if not the only one) who charge no foreign transaction fees. Their elite card, the Venture, offers good perks on top of this.

+1 on Capital One cc.

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

TM...

11. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

If you have a HSBC account you can exchange currency without a fee in that country.

12. xpress

xpress Senior member

I know up here in Canada I often run into businesses which will not accept Amex.

Some frequent Euro-travelers could certainly enlighten you more then I, but I would be worried about acceptance.

13. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

If you have a HSBC account you can exchange currency without a fee in that country.

I think I did get charged when I used an HSBC ATM in other countries (Mexico and the Philippines is where I've tried it). I got refunded for an ATM fee but not a foreign transaction fee of 1%.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...reign_Exchange

looks like its 3% now...but 0% if you have an HSBC Premiere account.

14. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

I usually change about $100-200 to the local currency before I leave, and use ATMs although the last couple times I've travelled abroad, I haven't taken any cash with me. As stated earlier, ATM exchange rates are better than those you get from currency exchanges.

15. FunLovinStyle

FunLovinStyle Senior member

The exchange rates from ATM's overseas are almost always better than what you can get changing currency in the U.S. before you depart. Change no more than you'll need for the first few hours in country, enough for cab fare and a bite to eat. Then hit up an ATM (not at the airport) when you arrive in the city where you're staying. (Also, don't exchange money at the hotel desk.)

Yup exactly my strategy... grab a few bucks from the ATM at the airport and then the additional cash from an ATM in the city where I'm staying. ATMs have the most favorable rates (except at the airport where they usually add an extra 3% or so).