• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best video game console? anything new coming in the next year or so?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
PS3 runs at 1080p for some games but all Blu Ray discs, media files etc that can support the resolution are also displayed at 1080p. I'm not sure about the Xbox but I can't imagine any reason other than the games to own one. They are noisy, prone to dying, far less powerful and flexible, charge money to play online (PS3 online is free) and generally just... not as useful. If you like the Xbox-only games though, you would need one.

There are only 3 games for the ps3 that run in 1080p and they are all ****** games. Also the newest 360's have been updated (3 times with newest ones just coming out in the last few months) with new motherboards and graphics chips, making them much less noisy, not prone to dying, and never overheat. They do charge to play money but the online community for the 360 is 100X better than that for PS3 not to mention out of the roughly ten friends I know who have systems, 1 has PS3 while the others all have 360's. THe one with the PS3 can go online for free but has no one to play with. I am still debating which system to go wtih but am leaning toward a 'newer' version 360.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for FFXIII and DQIX. Both get pushed back so much that lord knows when they'll come out. I'm keeping my xbox around for FFXIII since i can't get a ps3 yet. But yea, the xbox360 is unreliable as hell. PS3 has freezing problems too occasionally but not as bad.

I need new games to play. I finished DQV on the DS a month ago and it was fantastic. I might borrow my friend's copy of Fallout 3 to play this summer

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found emulators for NES, SNES, and Geneis in the Ubuntu repositories. I have over 3,000 legacy Nintendo and Sega games now to keep me busy for a very long time.

I'm obsessed with NES Tetris and SNES F-Zero racing atm. If I want to play an rpg, I will fire up my Genesis emulator and play some Shining Force II or just find a good mud online since I grabbed Gmud from the repository also.

wiscogooner

Reaction score
I remember buying a Genesis to play Shadowrun. Was one of the first non-turn-based combat action RPGs

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
I need new games to play. I finished DQV on the DS a month ago and it was fantastic. I might borrow my friend's copy of Fallout 3 to play this summer

Yeah Fallout is a game you'll have fun with. I played it on PS3 and despite being buggy I enjoyed it a ton.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I played the pen and paper rpg but never knew there was a video game of it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by wiscogooner
I remember buying a Genesis to play Shadowrun. Was one of the first non-turn-based combat action RPGs

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS3 owners are to gaming as vinyl fanatics are to music. They are too elitist and obnoxious to hold a conversation with.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
PS3 owners are to gaming as vinyl fanatics are to music. They are too elitist and obnoxious to hold a conversation with.

boxing[1].gif

None of this would be a problem if Sony dropped their console's price. People don't like luxury goods during recessions. Although I own a PS3 and love it...

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
boxing[1].gif

None of this would be a problem if Sony dropped their console's price. People don't like luxury goods during recessions. Although I own a PS3 and love it...

I had the option of getting a ps3 or 360 for pretty much the same price just a few weeks ago, and I went with the 360. I based my decisions from playing both system and just liked the 360 much better. I think even if the ps3 price was dropped it would still get vastly outsold as it is now.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
I played the pen and paper rpg but never knew there was a video game of it. Thanks.

There were actually two Shadowruns, both different games. One on the Genesis and one on the SNES. I've played the SNES version and it's superb, regularly talked about by video game aficionados as a memorable game.

Oh and then there was the 360 "Shadowrun" game, which is comparatively ****.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pg600rr
I had the option of getting a ps3 or 360 for pretty much the same price just a few weeks ago, and I went with the 360. I based my decisions from playing both system and just liked the 360 much better. I think even if the ps3 price was dropped it would still get vastly outsold as it is now.

Outsold? Yeah for several reasons (mainly Xbox Live). But we'd see sales rates in PS3 spike a ton as lots of people have described the system's price as "prohibitive."

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
They are too elitist and obnoxious to hold a conversation with.

So why don't more forumites have them?
smile.gif

wiscogooner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JammieDodger
There were actually two Shadowruns, both different games. One on the Genesis and one on the SNES. I've played the SNES version and it's superb, regularly talked about by video game aficionados as a memorable game.

Oh and then there was the 360 "Shadowrun" game, which is comparatively ****.

FWIW, I thought the Genesis version was a bit better. Mostly because it matched the stats/gameplay and open-ended world of the pen/paper game. The SNES version was more of a point and click adventure game with some RPG elements. The SNES version's storyline was much better and more linear though.

Good thing you can get emulators and roms for free though. Play both, they're both examples of how great some of the older systems' games are.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm finding the old Genesis/NES/SNES games are 10x more fun than the fancy eye candy crap coming out these days. I'm having a ball with Super Mario Allstars on SNES now. I had no idea they released 16 bit versions of the NES Super Mario Brothers series, cool! When I get a hankerin' for some good old first person shooting online, there is a great selection of open source games these days. Warsow, Nexuiz, Open Arena, Alien Arena, Urban Terror. All free, all open source, all cross-platform. I'm going to get into Textmode Quake tonight heheheh. Yes, it's for real... http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/ That will be my next gaming project, along with setting up a PSX emulator so I can play Street Figher Alpha 3 again w00t. Of course, that's only worth the effort if I can find this, and if it works in Linux... http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2007/05/decent_cheap_us/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics