Best Value Tailor in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by syght, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

What fabric did you order from Chan's suit? How much does Chan charge you?

2. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I assume that means the price will be relatively fair? I have read about buying fabrics in HK and been warned that they are significantly marked up or even fakes/scams.

I had mine in Zegna not sure specifically what it is or how much I'd have to check again I think 18k was the price.

3. Classic Car

I do not agree with what you said about buying fabrics in HK. There are fabric shop which have over 50 years history. I do not think they have high marked up or even fakes. HK is tax free, fabrics are relatively cheap compare to other cities.

4. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Well it's just what I've read on these forums.

5. Classic Car

Since you do not have enough knowledge about fabrics, maybe a good way is you order on-line from a UK merchant, ask them to send to your HK relatives, this can save the UK VAT too. If you like fresco, it is better, because most HK fabric shops do not carry Fresco. Majority of HK customers do not like the roughness of Fresco.

6. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

That's great. + I've found two that I really like and a cotton fabric, which are slightly less popular. I guess in HK people don't wear suits unless for formal situations, so casual suiting fabrics are not really in demand. Anyway I was just going to carry the fabric in my suitcase back to HK. It wouldn't be difficult would it? I assumed it wouldn't be a problem to just wrap them up. They won't be damage if I fold them or anything right?

7. Classic Car

It is not a problem to fold them.

8. Merino Bros

Merino Bros Senior member

Hi Isolation,

If you are interested in British cloth, we are HK official agent of Harrisons of Edinburgh. We are carrying Harrions, H Lesser, Porter&Harding and later W Bill and Smith too. We have a shop in Tsim Sha Tsui with plenty of sample books. If you order though us after seeing those samples, the fabric can arrive within 3 days so I think there will be enough time for you to bring the fabric to tailor and get it done afterwards.

Moreover, I suggest you can take a look at Harrisons Mersolair collection, which has abundant choices of cotton and linen for causal suits.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014

9. Classic Car

Zegna fabric is better than VBC.

10. add911_11

add911_11 Senior member

I wouldn't jump to this so soon. Some VBC range are actually very decent.

11. Classic Car

I mean as a general. For sure, some high end VBC are really good. Zegan tropical line are relatively poor.

12. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Zegna is usually more expensive isn't it? Well the ones I picked were anyway.

13. kingenzo

kingenzo Member

Hi all, I am planning to get my first bespoke (navy) suit in HK (I am a local). I have been surfing around the forum reading HK tailors review, you guys really rock (!!) and helped me to narrow down my options to Simpson Sin and Lee Baron. I got a quotation from Simpson Sin, full-canvassed suit starts from HK$5,500 and that's exactly my budget. As I am a damn newbie (please pardon my ignorance~), what kind of fabric do you experts think Simpson will offer? Is that possible to get VBC 110? Or any other nice fabric you guys will suggest with the HK$5,500 budget? Trillion thanks ahead!

14. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I got my VBC 110 for about that price range. I quite liked it and I think it's very appropriate for the pricerange you're looking at. I had a suit made of cheaper fabrics (my first suit with them) and while I'd consider it a good suit anyway, the VBC was definitely my preference.

15. Merino Bros

Merino Bros Senior member

with HKD 5500 budget, you can get a bette fabric than VBC 110 (e.g. Harrisons Regency, Fine Classics or even H Lesser 8~9oz, which all of them are made in England) and do CMT by Dreambespoke or Browns Tailor (both defaults are full canvassed, hand padded lapels, hand sewn buttonholes but Milanese buttonsholes incur extra charge).

Why do I make this suggestion?Because I have tried all personally and many local people in Hong Kong from local forum have experienced. If you dont believe, you are welcome to visit the local forum if you know Chinese.