Best Value Tailor in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by syght, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

O.K., tell me your requirements first, such as amount of time need to complete, level of craftmanship, budget........

2. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I saw it, so I change it to "good value" la!
    So, who are they then? :lurk:

3. Classic Car

O.K., I am local guy, I just share the thing I know. It does not mean I know everything . It is base on my own knowledge and judgement, I do not guarantee I am correct or how those tailors treat you guys. Different tailors treat customers differently or charge differently. You can listen or not, but I do not want to come to an arguement or debate.

If you agree, then give me your requirement.

4. rdsr

rdsr Member

Your knowledge and judgement is the exact kind of things that I am interested in. I have heard of a few decent tailor near where I lived, but none of them seems to carry that same price, quality, or price/quality ratio that tailors in other cities have. Most would recommend traveling tailor over local. Since I am visiting HK later this year this seems like a good chance for me to have a feel of what I am missing out first hand.

In terms of requirement I can't say for sure, I don't mind paying a little more for better quality, of course that doesn't mean that the sky is the limit, but since this is a "value" discussion feel free to express your own stand on the matters.
    For starter I would say full canvas construction. For fabric wool alone would suffice, probably along the line of VBC, maybe 130s and up, but not necessary.
    In terms of details, good lapel roll, functional cuff, horn buttons, pick stitching, and handmade buttonholes if possible.
    In terms of time I think I will be staying in HK for about 3 weeks, but of course that is only my limitation for this trip, not something everyone needs to worry about.
    As for pricing I honestly don't know that much, from what I heard Gordon Yao and WW Chan starts at about $1300 to $1400 USD for 2pc and they are among the higher priced houses. Originally they were my first choice since they travel, and I am kind of looking for a 3pc, so I was prepared for something nearing $2000, would not mind anything lower of course.

Added bonus also considering an overcoat, but I have not been able to find out much about that at all in terms of what fabric should I use and price range.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

5. Classic Car

First of all, 3 weeks time is enough for a tailor to complete a suit or overcoat. Actually, it takes 2 days to finish a suit or overcoat. It depends on their schedule whether they can spare out the time. It is cheaper to do by CMT, prepare the fabric in advance. There has many big on-line fabric merchant in UK such as Dudgale Brothers, Huddersfield Cloth, Hudderfield Fine Worsted , Taylor & Lodge etc.
    Finally, where are you from and can you speak Cantonese.?

6. rdsr

rdsr Member

Thanks for the input.
    CMT sounds good in terms of value, but since I am fairly new at this I don't know if I can select the right fabric with just pictures and numbers from online alone, also there's the consideration of shipping, custom, and bringing the fabric with me. I will still look into it however.
    Also I have heard stories of tailor not accepting CMT with new customer or giving new customer a different price, which I am going to be one for sure.
    I live near San Francisco area currently. As for the language, everyday conversation should not be an issue, but technical terms for tailoring might be a little trickier.

7. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Generally speaking if I live in the UK and can order there or visit a supplier/store and bring back to HK at no cost, would it be cheaper to get my own fabric and do CMT? Obviously it depends on the individual tailor's pricing options, but generally speaking is it worth my time? + I guess I can make sure I like the fabric as sometimes tailors might not have all the options, if say I am only visiting a short time.

edit lol I guess that's exactly what classic car is saying, I've been looking at some fabric on dugdale bros and wanted to ask but I guess it's answered already.

edit2: I guess the second question then, how much fabric should I buy/prepare for 3pc? 2pc? with trousers? etc?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014

8. Classic Car

Remember, you have 3 weeks time, it is enough to check out the tailors and fabric shops here. USD300 is more than enough to get decent fabric such as Dormeuil and Scabal for a 3 pc. VBC is even much lower.

Bay area has similar wheather as HK, 300 gm or 11oz worsted fabric is my recommention, soild mid grey and navy are my recommention.

USD1K is enough for a decent bespoke 3 pc including fabric and labour.

Since your are new, unnecessary for super high qulaity which you do not feel the difference.

A Porsche 911 is good enough for a new driver. If you are a experience driver, porsche 911 may not be enough and he may want a 911 TURBO.

9. Classic Car

If you have only short time visit and you do not need high end fabric. Moreover, you are happy with Simpson Sin, stick with him.
    I think his price is acceptable.Tailor shops profit margin increase when customers want better fabric. That is why experience customers want CMT.

If you tell me your height, measurement of chest, waist and hip. It is very easy to find out the amount of fabric need. Any tailor/ fabric shop can tell you. From your photo, if i assume you are under 6 feet tall, 3 m is enough for 2 pc suit, 3.3m for 3 pc suit.

10. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Yeah I saw some fabrics I liked from dugdale bros, not sure if I should order it here and do CMT, do you reckon it'll be cheaper or at least not more expensive? It's only coming to about 150 pounds for the fabric though so I wouldn't say it's high end.

11. Classic Car

There are a few fabric shops within walk-able distance from Simpson Sin. 150 pounds is enough for Dormeuil or Scabal. 100 pounds is enough for VBC.

Why not check Simpson Sin CMT price first ? You can decide which way is better for you?

12. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

How does the cost from those fabric shops generally compare with buying directly from the online stores? specifically Dugdale bros and huddersfield ones.

13. Classic Car

HK fabric shops are target for local customers, therefore, they mostly carry Dormeuil, Scabal, VBC, Loro Piana & VBC. They do not carry traditional english fabric such as Fresco from Huddersfield Fine Worsted or Dudgale Brothers. If you prefer old school English Fabric, it maybe better to get in UK. As far as I know, there are still many retail fabric in London area too.

BTW, please post your suits made by WW Chan .

14. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I will; they will arrive next month as my family are bringing it over.

15. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I think if you are interested in traditional English fabrics, you can order Lesser, Harrison, Smith Woollen and W Bill in HK.
    So not really need to shop online or buy from London retail