Best Value Tailor in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by syght, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

I got a VBC110 for slightly more than 400 USD. I used Simpson Sin. I also got a suit from WW Chan, which was more expensive. I have posted picture of the SS suit: [​IMG]

Pretty happy with it. I apologize for the choice of color.

2. agp

agp Senior member

Can anyone recommend a tailor that will cut suits like TF suits? I am hearing all these great things online about these tailors, but I don't know if bigger name tailors will do imitation suits.

And can I bring my TF and just ask the tailor to cut one exactly like that?

3. Classic Car

Classic Car Senior member

Hi Isolation, Your suit made by Simpson Sin is really nice and I like the colour. US$400 for 2 pc VBC110 is good value, are they full canvass? Can you show us your Chan suit? And how much is it? Cheers.

4. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Hey, thanks. It's half canvass, but full canvass is I think just a little more (400?). I didn't ask thinking it was full canvass but whatever works fine.

I'll post pictures of it but it's not with me right now actually as I'd been moving. I'll try to take picture of my other suits too when I can.

5. Classic Car

The reason why I ask is, I see no roll from the lapel. In HK tailors, half canvass usually put a chest piece canvass and the lapel is fused. With full canvass, they also do the pad stitiching on the lapel which creates a natural roll for the lapel. I think your SS suit has very nice cutting, however, a nice roll lapel can adds life to a jacket.

6. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Interesting, I didn't know that. I was on a bit of a hurry so I forgot to specify, but I'd probably be getting another suit from them on my next trip so I'll get them to have it full canvassed and take some photos. fwiw the price for this fabric was closer to 500-550 USD for a suit, my mistake. 400 is the price for the jacket. I should have mentioned, though I think the price is still quite reasonable.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014

7. Classic Car

For a tailor shop, price is reasonable to non locals. VBC110 is around U$30-$40 per yd if you get from wholesale fabric shop . For you, approx U$100 - 150 for fabric is needed. Labour plus profit are around US$400. Considering the high rent and inflation, it is not a bad deal.

8. Classic Car

BTW, I would like to say Best Value Tailors in Hong Kong needs to separate into two groups. For locals and for visitors. For visitors, those tailor shops are located at place with expensive rent and salesman need good English. There are some really good tailors who cannot speak any English at all plus they are located in area with much cheaper rent. Locals can always have better better deals.

9. Isolation

Isolation Senior member

Can you give some recommendations for those tailors you speak of? I grew up in HK and can speak Cantonese but don't really have any connections or people with good recommendations.

10. Classic Car

Can speak Cantonese is an advantage to find good value tailors and fabric in Hong Kong.

11. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Haha, Car, I do speak good Cantonese, and I would like to know who is the best value tailor in Hong Kong too! :lol:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

12. Classic Car

Fish, I do not know who is best vlaue tailor BUT only good value tailors.

13. rdsr

rdsr Active Member

Assuming language difference is not an issue do you mind sharing some of the good value tailors that you know about?
    How they stack up or compare against some of the more well known HK tailors popular in these forums?

14. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

I thought you know what you are talking about :brick:
    Ok, OK, then who are those "good value" then?:smarmy:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014

15. Classic Car

I do not think anyone know who is best value, different people has different standard. I had change to "GOOD VALUE" in my later post. Did you see that?