• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best value for money: shirts, shoes, suits

Chigu

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to this forum and I've seen threads on very high end items, as well as bashing of low end items. Also I have seen a thread on over-rated products, so on that theme. What are the best value for $$$ products available. I'm not big on LABELS, I want the quality. If I can find a $80 shirt for the same or better quality than a name branded dress shirt, I'd rather take the $80 shirt. I'm not big on paying for 'names' for dress attire when logos aren't even supposed to be shown anyway.

So what are some of the brands that have good quality to price ratio when it comes to

1) Dress Shirts
2) Dress Shoes
3) Suits

Please try to leave bespoke items out of the discussion.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For shoes, I'd say Allen Edmonds, R. Martegani, or Tricker's -- they all have very different styles, though.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shirt:

-lands end, even at full retail, mainly for ease of return
-rl polo on sale
-brooks bro on sale

shoes:

-allen edmonds hands down, and you can always find them on sale

suits:

-brooks brothers for non-canvassed at full retail
-Corneliani for canvassed at full retail

mishon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're in the right place because most of us have strong aversion to name brands. The word "value," however, has a subjective meaning, as to me it is directly proportional to "quality," meaning I don't mind paying a lot for something of great quality, but I digress. I am not sure if $80 is your price range for shirts, but I presume that it is, so I will leave out the "usual suspects" like Barba, Borrelli, Brioni, Finamore, Fray, Truzzi, etc..., even though for $120-150 they present a good value. I will also do the same with suits and shoes. To answer your question, and this is just to get things started: Dress shirts - Caliban, Cinn Kediaoni, Guglielminotti (all can be found in the $40-50 price range on eBay). All three are trim, use good fabrics and mother of pearl buttons. There are plenty of unknown Italian shirt makes on YOOX, like Fracassi, Piombo, Rosselli, etc... that may be worth giving a shot. Dress shoes - Gravati, Allen Edmonds, Martegani, Ferragamo Tramezza (can often be had for $300 or less) and has as good of value / quality ratio as anything out there. Suits - Castangia, Corneliani, Lardini, Boglioli regular line and COAT, Cantarelli (on sale)...

Chigu

Reaction score
As for shirts I don't mind spending up to $120-150 per shirt, but then it better be custom made. I don't see how an OTR shirt (even using the finest cotton) can be priced at $150+... unless you're paying for the name.

Great replies so far, it looks like Allen Edmonds (for shoes) provides great quality for the price!!

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chigu
I don't see how an OTR shirt (even using the finest cotton) can be priced at $150+... unless you're paying for the name.

Good shirting costs, and so does first world labor. I would imagine that 80% or more of shirts retailing for under $100 are made in "developing" countries

jsherman02

Reaction score
I seem to frequent STP quite often these days and have picked up some incredible deals that have great value. When you can purchase a pair of shoes for 75% off retail, that is value.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
For shoes, I'd say Allen Edmonds, R. Martegani, or Tricker's -- they all have very different styles, though.

Agred- I've never experienced Trickers but have seen enough praise to make me a believer.

I've owned 3 pair Martegani and probably 5 AE's over the years. Great durability and value for shoes under $500 with Mart's being my current favorite. There are often a few pairs at Franco's marked down below $300.

manouche

Reaction score
1) Harvie and Hudson
2) Vass
3) Faconnable

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Eeeeewww! (I hate that tag)

Faconnable's suits and coats are made by Cantarelli, as are their odd trousers. Their top line shoes are very nicely made with interesting lasts. Their ties are made by Breuer. They do have a some interesting items.

manouche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Faconnable's suits and coats are made by Cantarelli, as are their odd trousers. Their top line shoes are very nicely made with interesting lasts. Their ties are made by Breuer. They do have a some interesting items.
Some are made by Isaia

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by manouche
1) Harvie and Hudson
2) Vass
3) Faconnable

The Faconnable "Tailleur" suits are pretty good. Not quite St. Andrews, of course, but nothing to sneeze at and not priced like any St. Andrews, either.

I would say that the "best" readily-available shirt value at full retail are the John W. Nordstrom MTM shirts. "Best" readily-available RTW shirt value at full retail...I wouldn't know. I have never in my adult life bought an RTW shirt at full retail. But I think for the $60-$80 one can often find them at outlets, Loro Piana, Lorenzini, and especially Charvet shirts are excellent.

Shoes, readily available at full price? I think the consensus of AE is about right.

Suits, readily available at full price? Paul Stuart. Or Samuelsohn MTM.

manouche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
The Faconnable "Tailleur" suits are pretty good. Not quite St. Andrews, of course, but nothing to sneeze at and not priced like any St. Andrews, either.

I would say that the "best" readily-available shirt value at full retail are the John W. Nordstrom MTM shirts. "Best" readily-available RTW shirt value at full retail...I wouldn't know. I have never in my adult life bought an RTW shirt at full retail. But I think for the $60-$80 one can often find them at outlets, Loro Piana, Lorenzini, and especially Charvet shirts are excellent.

Shoes, readily available at full price? I think the consensus of AE is about right.

Suits, readily available at full price? Paul Stuart. Or Samuelsohn MTM.

Some Faconnable suit cost 2 000 euros, many cost more than 1 200 euros.

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by manouche
Some Faconnable suit cost 2 000 euros, many cost more than 1 200 euros.

I've rarely if ever seen a St. Andrews suit for under that price at full retail, and that was my basis of comparison. So I fail to see your point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads