• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best value for money: shirts, shoes, suits

Chigu

Active Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
I'm fairly new to this forum and I've seen threads on very high end items, as well as bashing of low end items. Also I have seen a thread on over-rated products, so on that theme. What are the best value for $$$ products available. I'm not big on LABELS, I want the quality. If I can find a $80 shirt for the same or better quality than a name branded dress shirt, I'd rather take the $80 shirt. I'm not big on paying for 'names' for dress attire when logos aren't even supposed to be shown anyway.

So what are some of the brands that have good quality to price ratio when it comes to

1) Dress Shirts
2) Dress Shoes
3) Suits

Please try to leave bespoke items out of the discussion.
 

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2008
Messages
1,974
Reaction score
2
For shoes, I'd say Allen Edmonds, R. Martegani, or Tricker's -- they all have very different styles, though.
 

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2006
Messages
8,106
Reaction score
85
shirt:

-lands end, even at full retail, mainly for ease of return
-rl polo on sale
-brooks bro on sale


shoes:

-allen edmonds hands down, and you can always find them on sale


suits:

-brooks brothers for non-canvassed at full retail
-Corneliani for canvassed at full retail
 

mishon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2007
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
25
You're in the right place because most of us have strong aversion to name brands. The word "value," however, has a subjective meaning, as to me it is directly proportional to "quality," meaning I don't mind paying a lot for something of great quality, but I digress. I am not sure if $80 is your price range for shirts, but I presume that it is, so I will leave out the "usual suspects" like Barba, Borrelli, Brioni, Finamore, Fray, Truzzi, etc..., even though for $120-150 they present a good value. I will also do the same with suits and shoes. To answer your question, and this is just to get things started: Dress shirts - Caliban, Cinn Kediaoni, Guglielminotti (all can be found in the $40-50 price range on eBay). All three are trim, use good fabrics and mother of pearl buttons. There are plenty of unknown Italian shirt makes on YOOX, like Fracassi, Piombo, Rosselli, etc... that may be worth giving a shot. Dress shoes - Gravati, Allen Edmonds, Martegani, Ferragamo Tramezza (can often be had for $300 or less) and has as good of value / quality ratio as anything out there. Suits - Castangia, Corneliani, Lardini, Boglioli regular line and COAT, Cantarelli (on sale)...
 

Chigu

Active Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2008
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
As for shirts I don't mind spending up to $120-150 per shirt, but then it better be custom made. I don't see how an OTR shirt (even using the finest cotton) can be priced at $150+... unless you're paying for the name.

Great replies so far, it looks like Allen Edmonds (for shoes) provides great quality for the price!!
 

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 5, 2004
Messages
10,448
Reaction score
75
Originally Posted by Chigu
I don't see how an OTR shirt (even using the finest cotton) can be priced at $150+... unless you're paying for the name.

Good shirting costs, and so does first world labor. I would imagine that 80% or more of shirts retailing for under $100 are made in "developing" countries
 

jsherman02

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2006
Messages
999
Reaction score
1
I seem to frequent STP quite often these days and have picked up some incredible deals that have great value. When you can purchase a pair of shoes for 75% off retail, that is value.
 

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
9,674
Reaction score
411
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
For shoes, I'd say Allen Edmonds, R. Martegani, or Tricker's -- they all have very different styles, though.

Agred- I've never experienced Trickers but have seen enough praise to make me a believer.

I've owned 3 pair Martegani and probably 5 AE's over the years. Great durability and value for shoes under $500 with Mart's being my current favorite. There are often a few pairs at Franco's marked down below $300.
 

manouche

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
867
Reaction score
2
1) Harvie and Hudson
2) Vass
3) Faconnable
 

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 10, 2006
Messages
25,923
Reaction score
3,510
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Eeeeewww! (I hate that tag)

Faconnable's suits and coats are made by Cantarelli, as are their odd trousers. Their top line shoes are very nicely made with interesting lasts. Their ties are made by Breuer. They do have a some interesting items.
 

manouche

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
867
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by edmorel
Faconnable's suits and coats are made by Cantarelli, as are their odd trousers. Their top line shoes are very nicely made with interesting lasts. Their ties are made by Breuer. They do have a some interesting items.
Some are made by Isaia
 

Sprezzatura2010

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
765
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by manouche
1) Harvie and Hudson
2) Vass
3) Faconnable


The Faconnable "Tailleur" suits are pretty good. Not quite St. Andrews, of course, but nothing to sneeze at and not priced like any St. Andrews, either.

I would say that the "best" readily-available shirt value at full retail are the John W. Nordstrom MTM shirts. "Best" readily-available RTW shirt value at full retail...I wouldn't know. I have never in my adult life bought an RTW shirt at full retail. But I think for the $60-$80 one can often find them at outlets, Loro Piana, Lorenzini, and especially Charvet shirts are excellent.

Shoes, readily available at full price? I think the consensus of AE is about right.

Suits, readily available at full price? Paul Stuart. Or Samuelsohn MTM.
 

manouche

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2008
Messages
867
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
The Faconnable "Tailleur" suits are pretty good. Not quite St. Andrews, of course, but nothing to sneeze at and not priced like any St. Andrews, either.

I would say that the "best" readily-available shirt value at full retail are the John W. Nordstrom MTM shirts. "Best" readily-available RTW shirt value at full retail...I wouldn't know. I have never in my adult life bought an RTW shirt at full retail. But I think for the $60-$80 one can often find them at outlets, Loro Piana, Lorenzini, and especially Charvet shirts are excellent.

Shoes, readily available at full price? I think the consensus of AE is about right.

Suits, readily available at full price? Paul Stuart. Or Samuelsohn MTM.



Some Faconnable suit cost 2 000 euros, many cost more than 1 200 euros.
 

Sprezzatura2010

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
765
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by manouche
Some Faconnable suit cost 2 000 euros, many cost more than 1 200 euros.

I've rarely if ever seen a St. Andrews suit for under that price at full retail, and that was my basis of comparison. So I fail to see your point.
 

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 43 15.2%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 88 31.1%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 53 18.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 22 7.8%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 18 6.4%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 11 3.9%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 6 2.1%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 12 4.2%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 2 0.7%
  • 100+

    Votes: 15 5.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
427,324
Messages
9,197,250
Members
193,161
Latest member
c.olivia

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Top