• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

best value for full canvased suits?

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You didn't say GF. I thought you were referring to 1818 given your price range. Yes, Golden Fleece are fully canvassed and very nice.

junior varsity

Reaction score

You didn't say GF. I thought you were referring to 1818 given your price range. Yes, Golden Fleece are fully canvassed and very nice.

I think if its $1500, which one is best? I think I've tried on two options = BB Fitzgerald in GF and RLBL Anthony.

is GF and full canvass worth the extra $1000 per two suits over 1818?
because 1818 is 1500 for two and GF is 2500 for two

Last edited:

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The additional cost isn't just the full canvassing. There are additional construction and workmanship improvements that don't necessarily give you $1000 more suit, but can cost that much to deliver a final product of that quality. If the style works for you, the Benjamin Sartorial suits are the best bang for the buck. Their quality is comparable to a RLBL suit.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think if its $1500, which one is best? I think I've tried on two options = BB Fitzgerald in GF and RLBL Anthony.

is GF and full canvass worth the extra $1000 per two suits over 1818?
because 1818 is 1500 for two and GF is 2500 for two

Sorry, I missed the GF reference and was focusing on the under 1K part of your post. The GF made in the USA stuff by Martin Greenfield is exceptionally well tailored and often has extremely nice cloth. If you are just starting out, it may be more than you need until you figure out exactly what you want.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
You can get H. Freeman & Son. It is sold at the English-American Tailoring factory store in Bedminster, MD, and LS Men's Clothes in NYC.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I believe that's Westminster, MD, Mark. Originally a Philadelphia tailor, OP, before EA bought the name, so I would imagine someone in Philly still retails it. Maybe not.

Last edited:

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
junior varsity, you're in the Philly area? Why don't you go to Franklin Mills. They have Last Call and Off 5th Saks there. There might be suits there at a heavy discount.

junior varsity

Reaction score

junior varsity, you're in the Philly area? Why don't you go to Franklin Mills. They have Last Call and Off 5th Saks there. There might be suits there at a heavy discount.

went there before along with philadelphia premium outlets in potstown.
no dice in terms of good fabric colors and my size aka impossible (36S)

junior varsity

Reaction score
but i am thinking of trying out the benjamin sartorial suits for $495 is quite good

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am a fan of the RLBL. I get mine for just under 1k during either of their twice annual sales (end of spring and end of fall).

Which location do you get them at and do solid colors (or tuxes) go on sale?

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which location do you get them at and do solid colors (or tuxes) go on sale?

In Chicago at the Michigan Ave. store. As far as I know, as long as you ask the right person, everything is on sale. I just picked up this one (http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...abel&fbc=1&f=Brand/1000004/&parentPage=family) at half off (I sent the online code posted here a couple weeks ago to my sales guy and he honored it in store) and will grab a blue cashmere sport coat at about half off in Nov.

I fell into this when I was shopping for a suit for my wedding in 2010. I picked up the RLBL charcoal nailhead suit for under 1k then and have kept coming back for the sales.

JChance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. Last call's HF for $400 (33% off coupon for their $599 suit) or Isaia for $700-800 at Off Fifth.

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're looking for slim, Club Monaco's Wright suit is fully canvassed as well. You can usually get a salesman to knock the price down to around $400, but they go on sale twice a year for around $250-$300.
What? Club Monaco sells fully-canvassed suits? Who makes these?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads