• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Value Blazers

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for several blazers. They will be worn with jeans and khakis. I have found a few companies below and included my thoughts. I would like to gain some insight from other SFers.

Brooks Brothers
Price: $448 and up
Quality is decent. You can occasionally get a good deal on sales. You are mostly paying for brand image. Fabrics can be good but those cost as much as $700+.

Suit Supply
Price: $399 and up
Above average quality fabrics. The fit/sizes are inconsistent. You pay for what you get. A jacket may require $$$ in alterations for appropriate fit.

J Crew
Don't bother. These are fused and you are paying outrageous prices.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have suggestions?

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I happen to like the BB Blazers, the harris tweeds are nice and they had a jacket i was considering getting this weekend on sale. at the 448 price point and this weekends sale, it is only 336 +tax. Just my two cents worth

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Double post.

Last edited:

Owen Meany

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Hickey Freeman staple blue blazer, the quality is high and after $100 in alterations, looks dang good, IMO.. I did purchase it during the Nordstrom Men's Sale for about 35% off its retail, at its full retail ($749) I wouldn't feel as enthusiastic about it....

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i though of getting this for F/W and this for S/S from Yount, until they ran out of my size...

Christopher Essex

Reaction score

i though of getting this for F/W and this for S/S from Yount, until they ran out of my size...

Me too! I was checking the site (more than once per day), anticipating the addition of the fall blazer and as soon as I realized they were up, it was sold out in my size.

Hopefully they'll get some more this fall.

myk7000

Reaction score
+1 on Hickey Freeman. Got myself a nice one from BB Black Fleece as well on sale for about ~$500

mcbrown

Reaction score
BB sports coats/blazers aren't great value at full price, but on sale I think they are fairly hard to beat at the price point. Certainly at the 40% off sales if you can wait for them, and probably also at they 25% off sales that come up every couple of months (like the one going on now).

Not everything at J. Crew is fused. But I haven't purchased any of their odd jackets, so I can't speak to overall quality/value.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else have suggestions?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Visited J Crew this week and was really disappointed with the quality of most of their blazers. You get what you pay for at $300. Some are fused, some used lower-end fabrics from good mills like VBC and LP. Overall, there is nothing special about them. Thoughts?

mercretas

Reaction score
Be patient, know your measurements, and watch the sales forum here. You can get terrific deals. I've picked up two new RL Polo blazers for $150 and $200.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
What size do you wear?
I am going to be listing a staple navy sportcoat on BS for cheap.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jeans and khakis. What exactly are you looking for?
Is the jacket for the office or for social use?

BB is a middle aged to old man label.
IF you're younger, it's very hard to get a stylish look from BB if you're going for 20s and 30s style.
Stick to a modern design from a slightly more fashion forward label.

This is actually great advice. No one cares about the label of your jacket.
I'd rather have a fused jacket that looks and fits great than something SF approved that looks terrible in real life.
Oh, and you'll save money too.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads