• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best v-neck undershirts to wear underneath a button up

bsyde82

Reaction score
are there any vneck undershirts out there that are thinner than jockey vnecks? i like the fit of the jockey vnecks but was wondering if anyone knew of a brand that makes basically paper thin vnecks...i like to wear em underneath my button ups (to keep my button ups cleaner for longer) but i want minimal interference w/ the fit of the shirt, if that makes sense, especially in the shoulder area.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren't some of AA's v necks really thin? Also, I'm sure anything silk would do the trick.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There are lots of options:

AA are on the low end
Adam + Eve, 429 Life, Splendid Mills all use softer cotton, but cost more than AA
Zimmerli are top notch, but are the most expensive

Brian SD

Reaction score
Jockey for sure. EDIT: Ahh you want something thinner. Don't know
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I still want to get one of those, but I'm not sure how deep the V is.. doesn't look that deep on the picture.

I just picked up a package of Target v-necks and they seem to fit pretty well, are reasonably thin, and have a V that's just right, deep enough not to show with a button undone but not super-old-man deep either. We'll see how they hold up through a wash though.

Brian SD

Reaction score
You know if a shirt has the words "armour" and "tactical" in its name, it has to be good.

brimley

Reaction score
I'm not sure you want to rock Under Armor compression under a button up shirt. They're pretty effective at getting moisture off the body, but they also tend to smell bad when you sweat. Not necessarily the most comfortable for just lounging around either.

That said, you can't get much thinner than that, and even sizing up one will still give you a skin tight fit.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't use Underarmour for undershirts. They tend to stink of sweat fast, especially with a few washes.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Strange, mine all smell fine, in fact they seem to smell better than cotton ones in general.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at a slightly higher end, schiesser makes really thin body hugging v neck t-shirts and they have varying product lines for higher and lower end price points (their "uncover" line is a good entry level one which you can pick up for around $25-30 a shirt (in europe at least) ..... their higher end line is up there with zimmerli in pricing)

another good option i've found is calida, again varying lines at varying pricepoints but ultra thin all cotton or cotton/microfibre versions which i find great for the summer under dress shirts

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had forgotten to mention Schiesser! I've found all of their underwear garments to be fairly well made and are a good value if you can find them.

auto90403

Reaction score
About a year ago, I discovered v-necked t-shirts from 2(x)ist ["to exist" -- get it?].

They're intentionally tight-fitting so your dress shirt fits better.

A bit expensive compared to the Brooks Brothers t-shirts I've been wearing since I was a kid. But if you find them on sale -- Bloomingdales, Saks -- they can be pretty reasonable. They're also at Filene's Basement.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the problem i have with the 2xist tee shirts, v neck or crew neck, is that they don't wash and wear well over time

the three pack ones you find at tjmaxx and such are horrible - stiff cotton; the individually boxed ones are better with the pima cotton line being likely the best of their offerings, but even with the higher end cotton offerings, i don't find that they last long as i find that collars get easily misshaped, the body gets stretched out and they just don't come out of the dryer well either

i will give credit that the 2xist microfibre content product is a better option as the shirts do hold their shape better in comparison to the all cotton product - the new soy fibre product has promise as well but i don't know yet long term use

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads