• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best use of Amex Membership Rewards

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been using Amex cards since starting college about 10 years ago, never really paying much attention to the rewards program. As a result, I am approaching a million points!

Are any of you experts on how to make these points go the furthest? I have done a bit of research into getting airline miles, and it seems like no deal at all. Spend $60,000 and get a paltry domestic business class ticket on Delta? Surely there must be better redemption opportunities...

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I have been using Amex cards since starting college about 10 years ago, never really paying much attention to the rewards program. As a result, I am approaching a million points!

Are any of you experts on how to make these points go the furthest? I have done a bit of research into getting airline miles, and it seems like no deal at all. Spend $60,000 and get a paltry domestic business class ticket on Delta? Surely there must be better redemption opportunities...

Saks, Bloomies, BB giftcards?

With 1,000,000 points you should get $10,000 in gift cards. That's a lot of RTW junk.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What of international first/business class? I am too lazy to look up the AMex rewards catalog, maybe I'll do that when I get home...

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used the award pts on 2 occasions. Once for Les Mis tickets a few yrs back. And then a couple months ago i got a northface denali jacket. I would just pick out cool things here and there. Dont use it up just b/c you have it. I recall seeing the i-pod with the touch screen recently for 30 or 40K pts.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Buy Home Depot gift cards, sell them on ebay. There are rules as to how many you can sell at a time though.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
air travel hands dfown. my biz partner hasn't paid for a flight in 5 years.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Researched the gift card route. Its seems the going rate is about 100 points per $1, which would get me about $8k. That's pretty disappointing. I thought I might at least come away from this with a couple of first class vacations.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have only ever spent my points on airfare.

montyharding

Reaction score
Me too. The problem is, that over this side of the pond many vendors are extraordinarily reluctant to take Amex because of the high commission. I get substantial Air Miles on top of the regular rewards on my Amex, but the problem is finding people who I regularly spend with who take Amex. The two tech vendors I use most and spend probably $200K a year with just for personal stuff don't take Amex for example.

Personally, I spend everything on flights - and the reason I got a BA-branded Amex was for that reason.

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Blue Cash AMEX - so once a year, on my anniversary of when I opened the account I get a credit off my bill - it's usually a nice amount - plus after I spend $7k a year they bump up my rewards to 1.5% on everything and 5% on gas/drugs/supermarkets...

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sell your points or ask people what they want and then name your price.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IWC Portuguese Automatic Chrono

772,100 points

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or just get an insane amount of restaurant gift cards and take your sig. other out every weekend to a great meal.

you could probably eat out for free for an entire year with that many points

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads