• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best use of Amex Membership Rewards

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been using Amex cards since starting college about 10 years ago, never really paying much attention to the rewards program. As a result, I am approaching a million points!

Are any of you experts on how to make these points go the furthest? I have done a bit of research into getting airline miles, and it seems like no deal at all. Spend $60,000 and get a paltry domestic business class ticket on Delta? Surely there must be better redemption opportunities...

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pennglock
I have been using Amex cards since starting college about 10 years ago, never really paying much attention to the rewards program. As a result, I am approaching a million points!

Are any of you experts on how to make these points go the furthest? I have done a bit of research into getting airline miles, and it seems like no deal at all. Spend $60,000 and get a paltry domestic business class ticket on Delta? Surely there must be better redemption opportunities...

Saks, Bloomies, BB giftcards?

With 1,000,000 points you should get $10,000 in gift cards. That's a lot of RTW junk.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What of international first/business class? I am too lazy to look up the AMex rewards catalog, maybe I'll do that when I get home...

dshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used the award pts on 2 occasions. Once for Les Mis tickets a few yrs back. And then a couple months ago i got a northface denali jacket. I would just pick out cool things here and there. Dont use it up just b/c you have it. I recall seeing the i-pod with the touch screen recently for 30 or 40K pts.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Buy Home Depot gift cards, sell them on ebay. There are rules as to how many you can sell at a time though.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
air travel hands dfown. my biz partner hasn't paid for a flight in 5 years.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Researched the gift card route. Its seems the going rate is about 100 points per $1, which would get me about $8k. That's pretty disappointing. I thought I might at least come away from this with a couple of first class vacations.

montyharding

Reaction score
Me too. The problem is, that over this side of the pond many vendors are extraordinarily reluctant to take Amex because of the high commission. I get substantial Air Miles on top of the regular rewards on my Amex, but the problem is finding people who I regularly spend with who take Amex. The two tech vendors I use most and spend probably $200K a year with just for personal stuff don't take Amex for example.

Personally, I spend everything on flights - and the reason I got a BA-branded Amex was for that reason.

whusurdadi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a Blue Cash AMEX - so once a year, on my anniversary of when I opened the account I get a credit off my bill - it's usually a nice amount - plus after I spend $7k a year they bump up my rewards to 1.5% on everything and 5% on gas/drugs/supermarkets...

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sell your points or ask people what they want and then name your price.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IWC Portuguese Automatic Chrono

772,100 points

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
or just get an insane amount of restaurant gift cards and take your sig. other out every weekend to a great meal.

you could probably eat out for free for an entire year with that many points

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.8%