• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best type of collar to wear on a dress shirt with no tie?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think button down collars look good, since the collar points stay in position because of the buttons. Does anyone else feel the same way? Are there any other types of collars that look good without a tie, I rarely wear a tie so that's why I ask.

Do the collar rules about which choosing which type of collar to flatter your face shape still apply if you are not going to be wearing a tie?

I notice many people wear wider or spread collars in the WAYWT posts, but with ties, can they still look good without ties?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my shirts have cut-away collars which look good with or without a tie. I always hesitate before wearing a spread collar without a tie, but when I do it, it usually looks good too.

TQSF

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Most of my shirts have cut-away collars which look good with or without a tie. I always hesitate before wearing a spread collar without a tie, but when I do it, it usually looks good too.

Agreed... classic cut away/spread collar looks fine without a tie.

Diavolo

Reaction score
+1

The instinct generally is to go for the button down but I think the wide spread collar looks more rakish.

ktrp

Reaction score
Some people think that button down collars look good. That is why these collars are produced, and have been produced for many years for non-polo players.

Wearing button down collar w/ tie under a suit is done by very respectable americans, but I don't think would be done in the UK. Actual members from the UK could comment on that.

Without a tie, I think you can wear any sort of turn down collar that you like. I used to wear button down when I was younger, then decided I didn't like it, and moved to fairly wide spreads.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The great majority of my shirts have spread collar ... which is good ... as that is the collar I prefer for all wear.

jb_1977

Reaction score
I'm surprised at the responses that advocate wearing spread collars with no tie. I didn't think that was to be done.

I don't really like the look of a spread collar without a tie.

It seem to me that most of the pics I've seen of dress shirts without ties have shown higher collars with narrower spreads.

It would interesting to see some SF-approved non-tie spread collar shots.

Good question.

SmartCasual

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TQSF
Agreed... classic cut away/spread collar looks fine without a tie.

I love that style.... it is perfect.
I used to wear button down, but now I prefer a cut away, soft interlining, collar stays.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jb_1977
I'm surprised at the responses that advocate wearing spread collars with no tie. I didn't think that was to be done.
The fact that it is not to be done may be the reason some do it.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer those thick/high collared shirts when worn under a jacket...

p1.colangelo.ipg.jpg

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
I personally like a wide spread collar, but I have had a huge resurgence of the Hidden Buttondown this past season

supercarl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ktrp
Some people think that button down collars look good. That is why these collars are produced, and have been produced for many years for non-polo players.

Wearing button down collar w/ tie under a suit is done by very respectable americans, but I don't think would be done in the UK. Actual members from the UK could comment on that.

Let's just say that wearing button down collars, especially with a tie, makes you stand out as American.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads