• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Trouser Makers

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Of the trousers I own, I’d rank them as follows:

1. Pomella RTW
T2. Steed Bespoke/Despos Bespoke
3. Rubinacci Bespoke
4. Ambrosi MTM
5. MyTailor
6. Zanella RTW

However, there’s a huge drop off in price between 4 and 5.
YMMV.

thedavidstarr

Reaction score
Would add Berg & Berg to the list for RTW. They are good value especially on sale. Three different styles and good fabric selection.
Agreed. I think the Swedish brands—Tiger for example—run slimmer

fashion1975

Reaction score
Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction. I've noticed that I've had to tailor any trouser I've purchased off the rack. Usually shortened, tapered at the cuff and thigh. I usually go with 28" inseam, 7" cuff width or a tad narrower, 20" thigh and 33" waist. It's very hard to find this kind of cut off the rack. The closest thing I've gotten is skinny trousers from Topman or ASOS. I have Some Zegna, Zanella, incotex , PT and Bonobos and any pattern/color which I find appealing. I lean toward clothing which contours the body rather than draping which is the classic look.

I can't seem to find trousers in variations of Houndstooth or Donegal tweed.Is MTM really the direction I should be going?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For people on a budget, I usually recommend Hertling-made trousers. Brand will depend on what kind of fit they prefer. For people who have a bit more money, then Rota, either their brand or one of their private labels. Again, depends on the fit they want.

Hertling direct business is a mess, product is good but customer service is non existant, like for suppose in stock item you have to wait for a month with no response and think potentially charge back.

As to what is best, one I would avoid is some of the top Italian ones too many damn buttons on the waist band, I don’t want to remember a routine to be able to put on and take it off.

To original OP: my approach to trouser has been find the fit that works for you with a zipper and decent fabric, probably will be at least $200 even on discount

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also if SuitSupply is on then definitely Ralph Lauren the higher end ones, probably a ton of maker but are still good even post Cornelian days

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terribly boring, other than tailored trews, I have always held Zanella and Daks - including RLPL (before they got with it), in high regard.

joacimbylehn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For RTW natalino seems to be very popular and great bang for your buck.
My personal go to’s are mtm from Saman Amel and Stòffa.

Eli Curt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had success with Spier & Mackay, Luciano Barbera and Hertling.

I'd love to get my hands on a pair of those Ambrosi trousers but, you know, they're not exactly inexpensive.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not tailoring trouser, but RRL made in China trousers are good as well (mostly chinos, the tailoring RRL trouser seems to be Caruso)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics