• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best trouser lining length

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Welcome to the dark side @Peak and Pine .

You might enjoy posting in the Thrift thread. I'm sure people would enjoy your projects, or even if you started your own threads. I always enjoyed your comments at AAAC.

Kind of you, Mr Horker. I've actually been here for 12 years, but I let my passport to post expire as SF crept into the All Shoes All the Time era. Like DW, I bemoan the emphasis, which is sorta like a car forum that talks mostly about tires. Still, I've always enjoyed this place and hope to continue to do so

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of you, Mr Horker. I've actually been here for 12 years, but I let my passport to post expire as SF crept into the All Shoes All the Time era. Like DW, I bemoan the emphasis, which is sorta like a car forum that talks mostly about tires. Still, I've always enjoyed this place and hope to continue to do so
I forgot to mention this is Delicious_Scent, I nuked my account. It simply felt too sad to log in anymore on the other site.

Great analogy with the tires. I've been here about as long as AAAC, and I also hope to continue to enjoy this place. It has slowed down as well, as all forums have over time.

Lots of unique personalities though, I only recently ventured over to the "Streetwear" side and didn't realize how much inspiration I was missing.

One of my favourite threads is below.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Instead of tire I would at least call it rim :p

Baked Potato

Reaction score
Would moleskine trousers need to be fully lined? Flannel sometimes has the tendency of getting stuck onto the socks. Does the velvety texture of moleskine have the same tendecies?

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Would moleskine trousers need to be fully lined? Flannel sometimes has the tendency of getting stuck onto the socks. Does the velvety texture of moleskine have the same tendecies?
I'm not sure of what I'm about to say since I have no moleskins at hand, but with corduroy the wales are actually only on one side, the interior is flat. Is this not also true with moleskin, in that you have a flat cotton fabric and so it probably wouldn't cling?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have never had this issue with any moleskin trousers.... flannel yes, moleskin no. It might be a combination of the smoother nature of the inside of moleskin and the weight or moleskin vs. some flannels. YMMV

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Adding lining to a finished trouser isn't as simple as it seems.
Unless the trouser is full lined, front and back, it has to be attached to the cloth.
If full lined, you have the option to have the lining as a drop in from the waistband and hangs free. After making the lining the hardest part is attaching the lining to the waist band and along the fly. How easy or difficult this is depends on the trouser construction. The lining will cover the pocket bags. This is the easiest method and has the benefit of pulling the lining out when pressing the legs.
Whoever does this has to create a trouser pattern to cut the lining. Best if it as close as possible to the actual trouser pattern.

If you only line the front panels, the lining has to be attached to the leg.
When you make the trouser, applying the lining is the first thing done. The lining is basted to the cloth and then the edges are serged. This secures the lining to the cloth and keeps the edges of the cloth and lining from fraying.

If the trouser is finished the best method is to open the inseam and out seam and apply the lining. If you want to serge the edge you really should remove the original serging stitch or the edges are bulky. This reduces the chance of making impressions on the cloth when pressing.
The tricky part is attaching the lining along the fly and the waistband in a simple way.
The lining is under the front pocket bags when you add the lining before making the trouser. The lining will cover the pocket bag when you line a finished trouser.

Make sure the lining is of good quality that won't shrink to avoid issues.

Last edited:

never_behind

Reaction score
I had many unlined moleskins and have never had an issue.

stephen wouw

Reaction score
I get the reason to for lining the trousers especially with itchy fabrics. I get it when it’s for colder climates. But if you have a fine s120 or s150 why lining? Even a nice linen suit which supposed to be for warmer conditions. Or maybe it’s me getting hot easily.

Enfusia

Reaction score
Well, this is 100th comment. Long time lurker then joined, and now at 100 comments, whoot!

I prefer 1/2 lined trousers as many trouser fabrics are just a bit too itchy for me. That's really the main reason.

SJB95

Reaction score
I recently had a suit by Redmayne 1860. The head tailor recommended unlined trousers. I was hesitant… the fabric is 100% wool (three seasons). It felt peculiar at first, but after several wears I no longer pay much attention to it. He said trends toward unlined trousers.

nevaeh

Reaction score
I recently had a suit by Redmayne 1860. The head tailor recommended unlined trousers. I was hesitant… the fabric is 100% wool (three seasons). It felt peculiar at first, but after several wears I no longer pay much attention to it. He said trends toward unlined trousers.
Interesting! What was his reasoning for having unlined trousers? And what was your fabric?

SJB95

Reaction score
Mr Mahon suggested that fabric drapes better without cupro lining…. The fabric is a medium weight English wool. I live in Oregon so the winter weather here probably similar to UK weather.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
What's the recommended material to use as trouser lining? As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I always go for fully lined trousers if they're not made for warmer weather. My prior MtM trousers seem to have polyester lining according to the inner label. I asked if they had any other lining materials available, but got told no. The new place I've been testing out offers greater customization options.

I got told that Bemberg won't be that pleasant to use to fully line a pair of trousers. Polyester is polyester... The guy recommended cotton. My earlier polyester lined trousers haven't really disturbed me in any way. The trousers draped better and didn't get stuck onto my OTC socks. Although a more natural lining material would be preferable, are there any better alternatives?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the recommended material to use as trouser lining? As I've mentioned earlier in the thread, I always go for fully lined trousers if they're not made for warmer weather. My prior MtM trousers seem to have polyester lining according to the inner label. I asked if they had any other lining materials available, but got told no. The new place I've been testing out offers greater customization options.

I got told that Bemberg won't be that pleasant to use to fully line a pair of trousers. Polyester is polyester... The guy recommended cotton. My earlier polyester lined trousers haven't really disturbed me in any way. The trousers draped better and didn't get stuck onto my OTC socks. Although a more natural lining material would be preferable, are there any better alternatives?
My trousers are lined with Bemberg. Why would it be a problem for trousers but not for jackets? I also don’t think that Bemberg is polyester. It is a semi-synthetic made from cotton. Wouldn’t choose cotton as a trouser lining personally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads