• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best trouser lining length

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Probably way colder where you’re, no way I’m wearing that in NYC…

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know such a thing existed. This looks great and I am purchasing one to try it out.

In the UK these are known generically as Long Johns and have been around forever.

Also best to get the ones made instead from Merino for ultimate temperature regulation.

Baked Potato

Reaction score
I always go for full lining, expect if the trousers are made for warmer weather. Better drape and less risk of the trouser legs getting stuck onto my (OTC) socks.

Haven't ever thought about increased compleixity when it comes to tailor adjustments. Although I don't leave my clothes to be adjusted by any run-of-the-mill tailor.

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
I like a half-lining for itchier fabrics that tend to be used in cool weather trousers (tweeds, flannels). For spring/summer, no lining. I don't tend to wear anything lighter than khaki, so opacity isn't an issue.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Probably way colder where you’re, no way I’m wearing that in NYC…
I'm in maine, so it's cold. I've lived in NYC and it's cold there too. But this thread is not about pant lining for warmth, but for ease in getting on and off, as a leg dander catcher, as a knee blow out protector and as a buffer against possible irritation from wool. So the suggestions I gave are for that, the temperature thing is just a bonus.

Mirage-

Reaction score
In the UK these are known generically as Long Johns and have been around forever.

Also best to get the ones made instead from Merino for ultimate temperature regulation.
Indeed, I was going to say, they have been around forever. Although most people use them to stay warm during athletic/outdoor activities. I have a pair I used for no-gi brazilian jiu jitsu, synthetic ofc, worn under shorts.
Hell, women use what is basically a version of that (leggings) as actual pants all the time, inside gyms and outside too nowadays. Could hardly be more ubiquitous.

I will however note that merino ones, though certainly warm, probably wouldn't work well as lining under other wool trousers, if one actually wants to attempt this (which could be very weird if it shows when one sits down).

Last edited:

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Yes, but that is somewhat astray from the thread purpose. The pant linings talked about here are not for warmth, but as a buffer or an aid to drape.

The phrase long johns is American, not British. Named after famous American prize fighter of the 1800s, John l Sullivan.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
I will however note that merino ones, though certainly warm, probably wouldn't work well as lining under other wool trousers..
This is true, which is why the two posted ones, from Beans and Lands' End, are made from silk.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in maine, so it's cold. I've lived in NYC and it's cold there too. But this thread is not about pant lining for warmth, but for ease in getting on and off, as a leg dander catcher, as a knee blow out protector and as a buffer against possible irritation from wool. So the suggestions I gave are for that, the temperature thing is just a bonus.

yea but my point is it’s just uncomfortably warm, and unlike a sweater layer you can’t just easily take it off when it gets hot

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The point is completely moot, they are exactly the same garment - and I didn't say the name was British, only that's what people call them here in the UK (as I didn't know if other places used other names).

The distinction about warmth being irrelevant to the purpose is also false; *any* additional layer of fabric is going to result in added heat retention, so ideally you want one which would be the best at thermo-regulation, whether it needs to be warming or cooling whatever the given circumstance. That means Merino Wool.

I now wear *Superfine* merino versions of these about seven/eight months of the year under every type of trouser with flawless results - and in a Superfine gauge they are just as slinky smooth as any silk version (with added benefits).

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
The distinction about warmth being irrelevant to the purpose is also false; *any* additional layer of fabric is going to result in added heat retention, so ideally you want one which would be the best at thermo-regulation, whether it needs to be warming or cooling whatever the given circumstance. That means Merino Wool.
Objection noted.
The thread is about pant lining though, and it was suggested by me that lining yourself instead of the pant might serve the same purpose and be somewhat easier than converting an unlined pant to a lined one. That temperature regulation comes into play may be a plus or a minus, but not the intent of the thread. And while Merino wool, which you suggest, may be a good warming item, it is a very poor idea for ease in getting on and off a wool pant and preventing cling.

FlithyButler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am only going on my own direct experience. I have been wearing these long johns made from Superfine Merino jersey knit for several years now with every sort of trouser, and not once have I experienced any sort of cling. With a really superfine gauge the hand of the fabric is actually like silk itself.

Also, people hear wool and think "warming", but when it is fine and worn directly against the skin it is also able to do the opposite and have a cooling perspiring effect when required - it is a uniquely dynamic fibre that is constantly adapting to its environment. And no wonder; we steal it from an animal which is 98% genetically identical to us and shares the same core body temperature, that has has to live outside at the whims of the elements in both extremes of winter and summer.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
I am only going on my own direct experience. I have been wearing these long johns made from Superfine Merino jersey knit for several years now with every sort of trouser, and not once have I experienced any sort of cling. With a really superfine gauge the hand of the fabric is actually like silk itself.

Also, people hear wool and think "warming", but when it is fine and worn directly against the skin it is also able to do the opposite and have a cooling perspiring effect when required - it is a uniquely dynamic fibre that is constantly adapting to its environment. And no wonder; we steal it from an animal which is 98% genetically identical to us and shares the same core body temperature, that has has to live outside at the whims of the elements in both extremes of winter and summer.
Good post, good info. I too wear long johns year round. My preferred is US military surplus, a 50/50 a combo of wool and cotton. I'm in Maine where weather is king. But I have a single pair of the silk ones so mentioned, specifically to wear under certain wool dress pants.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the dark side @Peak and Pine .

You might enjoy posting in the Thrift thread. I'm sure people would enjoy your projects, or even if you started your own threads. I always enjoyed your comments at AAAC.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lined to the knee for me, unless there’s an opacity issue with very light trousers. Long Johns are only for outdoors for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads