• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best trouser lining length

Jazzthief

Reaction score
What is the best length of lining for formal pressed trousers to be worn with a suit? To my knowledge, any kind of lining in trousers is a somewhat recent addition and historically trousers were unlined. Nowadays half-lined is the standard.

What are the benefits of full-lined trousers in lieu of half-lined trousers; what are the benefits of unlined trousers?

I like quite formal and "traditional" suiting, but unlined trousers seem too unstructured to me.

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
In my experience the only time you have to worry about it is with trousers in cream/white/any other colour that may not be fully opaque. I have zero time for the pair of cream trousers I own with lining that ends at the knee, because the transition is visible and ugly. The better, fully lined pair is the only one I wear.

If the trouser material and colour are opaque I prefer as little lining as possible, because lining only makes alterations more complex. It also makes it more difficult to re-press the crease, because if you don’t line it up correctly the crease on the lining is weird.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can think of at least two other reasons to line trousers:
1. If you find the fabric irritating next to the skin. I don’t usually have this problem but YMMV.
2. Lining to the knee (at least) helps the trouser leg slide upwards more easily when you sit down so it doesn’t put as much pressure on the knees of the trousers. This is more of a problem with some fabrics like flannel, which both slides less readily and also is more prone to stretching and bagging at the knee.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the best length of lining for formal pressed trousers to be worn with a suit? To my knowledge, any kind of lining in trousers is a somewhat recent addition and historically trousers were unlined. Nowadays half-lined is the standard.

What are the benefits of full-lined trousers in lieu of half-lined trousers; what are the benefits of unlined trousers?

I like quite formal and "traditional" suiting, but unlined trousers seem too unstructured to me.
I can think of at least two other reasons to line trousers:
1. If you find the fabric irritating next to the skin. I don’t usually have this problem but YMMV.
2. Lining to the knee (at least) helps the trouser leg slide upwards more easily when you sit down so it doesn’t put as much pressure on the knees of the trousers. This is more of a problem with some fabrics like flannel, which both slides less readily and also is more prone to stretching and bagging at the knee.
I have trousers fully lined when the fabric is going to be itchy (like a tweed, fresco, or a mohair) or if, as mentioned above, the fabric is semi-translucent. I haven't really experienced a downside. Sure, your launderer is going to have to be a bit more careful when pressing the trousers, but there are worse things to worry about.

nevaeh

Reaction score
What about lining woolen flannel trousers (13.5 oz)? No, half, full?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See my post above. Not essential but I find that half lining helps the trouser leg slide up when I sit down.

Leiker

Reaction score
See my post above. Not essential but I find that half lining helps the trouser leg slide up when I sit down.
This, plus the upper part of the trousers are in close contact with your leg when you're sitting and a lining can prevent some skin irritation if you're prone to it.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of unlined flannel trousers from Edward Sexton. They are, essentially, unwearable because there is simply too much friction between the cloth and the front of my legs. It is uncomfortable.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of unlined flannel trousers from Edward Sexton. They are, essentially, unwearable because there is simply too much friction between the cloth and the front of my legs. It is uncomfortable.

Couldn't you let them get lined? I figure it's not so simple, but better than leaving them unused.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn't you let them get lined? I figure it's not so simple, but better than leaving them unused.
Oh, absolutely. It's actually not difficult to do, for a tailor or good alterations person. It is simply laziness on my part that I haven't done it yet.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I have a cavalry twill pair from Natalino that is unlined because they thought the texture wouldn't be a problem. The first time I wore them I got very real skin irritation from it. It seems the problem got better with use somehow (maybe rubbing again and again smoothed the surface?) but they are still uncomfortable, would definitely not recommend.
I thought about getting them lined but couldn't find much info on it and didn't really know where to source a good lining so I eventually gave up. Also because I don't really have an alteration tailor I actually trust for anything not super-basic.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Another consideration is to line yourself rather than the pant. Works especially well with itchy flannel, the wearing of which presumes a cooler season, which the self-lining additionally addresses by keeping you warmer. Below, an example from L. L. Bean...

Screenshot_20221202-132742_Chrome-01.jpeg

nevaeh

Reaction score
Another consideration is to line yourself rather than the pant. Works especially well with itchy flannel, the wearing of which presumes a cooler season, which the self-lining additionally addresses by keeping you warmer. Below, an example from L. L. Bean...

View attachment 1863478
I didn't know such a thing existed. This looks great and I am purchasing one to try it out.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
I would imagine it gets too hot?
It depends on who you are; different people, different temperatures, different effects. But the wearing of a potentially irritating fabric like flannel presumes cool weather. Below, an offering from Lands' End ($53)...

Screenshot_20221203-122525_Chrome-01.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads