• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best toothpaste?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I always liked the taste of Pepsodent.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedLantern
I'm a big fan of Crest w/ Scope. I don't know if it is "best" for you teeth in terms of ingedients, but I love the taste. Being that it tastes so good I never avoid brushing, that has to count for something.

+1 - this is pretty good stuff.

repressedm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fashion Savant
Just chew on a piece of wood charcoal. The carbon will clean your teeth like nothing else can. The taste isn't too pleasant though.

Flame?

tundrafour

Reaction score
I've been using Sea Fresh toothpaste by Jason for about a year or so. I was skeptical of the taste and quality at first but it's really grown on me. I don't think I'd go back to Crest, Colgate, etc. now. I don't really like the Tom's stuff, though. My teeth never feel clean afterwards.

esquire.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Colgate Total has Gantrez which allows other ingredients in the toothpaste, namely Triclosan, to remain on the teeth for the rest of the day and protect your teeth which is not necessarily true for other products.

But, Colgate Total doesn't do the best job for stain removal. For that, you might want to turn to other Colgate products such as Colgate Luminous. Or, Ultra Brite. But, the trade-off is that these other products will not be as effective against tartar, plaque, etc.. as Colgate Total.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I bought mine at Big Lots. Yes, Big Lots, the closeout store. Each full-sized tube cost $1.50, and came with a free toothbrush. That's a bargain bonanza. I have four stacked under my bathroom sink.

You can, however, get it at Rite-Aid and other such chains.

laugh.gif
Doc, you are a real bargain hunter/cheap assed bastard!

BTW, Big Lots have some real treasures for those willing to look.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I read somewhere that the medieval Spaniards used to brush their teeth with "stale urine". Not sure how that worked, or how urine goes stale (non-midstream, I take it?).

Violinist was posting about some $20 toothpaste he got really defensive about -- Marvis, perhaps?

Where can one buy Lavoris?

I remember reading that both romans and chinese used urine as toothpaste at different points, but I don't know if that is true.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For an inexpensive whitening toothpaste that you can safely use regularly, try something like Dr. Collins All White Whitening Toothpaste.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use plain Colgate. I find that the special whitening or other additives irritate my gums slightly.

I haven't had a cavity since childhood, even though I did not see a dentist from age 5 until 25. No fillings whatsoever.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've tried to find another toothpaste that doesn't have SLS (foamy nasty soap ingredient in almost all of them) yet works and tastes good etc., but until then I still use Biotene "dry mouth" kind. It costs too much but oh well, I'm not risking canker sore resurgence.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
laugh.gif
Doc, you are a real bargain hunter/cheap assed bastard!

BTW, Big Lots have some real treasures for those willing to look.

Lee, this is one of the better compliments I've gotten on SF. And yeah, Big Lots gets a lot of junk, but there's some gold in there too. Good for weird foods, usually of the extremely unhealthy sort.

auto90403

Reaction score
Every dentist I've ever had says the two most important features to a good toothpaste are that it be low abrasion and contain flouride.

Gels are generally less abrasive than pastes.

Each dentist says using the cheapest Colgate/Crest gels -- "the stuff on the low shelves where you can't see it because they want to buy the expensive ones that are at eye level," one dentist told me -- are unsurpassed by anything on the market.

The more toothpastes that contain "natural" ingredients are generally very abrasive and contribute to enamel wearing.

Something to think about if you brush three times a day.

ryoneo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 Colgate, been using it forever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads