1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best toothpaste...

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by JurassicJon, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Apparently, the correct answer is 'none'. Dentists are finding a lot of toothpaste is extremely abrasive; however, it tastes good so people will brush longer... and they end up damaging the enamel on their teeth. The study said the affects look like the teeth were 'sandblasted' and they were recommending using very little toothpaste, if any.

Yeah, I remember something about that. All the arm and hammer stuff with baking soda was pretty bad. Straight baking soda will turn your teeth grey after many years. I think Toms of Main and Sensodyne were pretty gentle.

I use sensodyne. I have sensative teeth as is, which is made worse by a particular tooth that has a receeding gum line. It's not visable, but I really should have it corrected. I just need to wait for a week where it wont be too much of a push up to be in pain and taste nothing by my own blood [​IMG].

Sensitivity aside, Aquafreash Extreme Clean leaves my teeth feeling the most clean.

2. K-Bear

K-Bear Member

therabreath... seriously the best stuff out there. I use their toothpaste, mouthwash and zox breathmints and my breath has never been fresher. no cavities as of late either

i started out with the trial kit for like 10 bucks... comes with everything. try walgreens or walmart or whatever they have in your neck of the woods. tried it for a week and never went back to "regular toothpaste" ie colgate, crest etc etc.

Also, if any of you guys get tonsil stones.. those little white balls that you cough up every once in a while that stink like the plague... therabreath has absolutely gotten rid of them for me. I haven't had one since i started using it.

Definitely therabreath. I've been using it since 2005 and it gets rid of sore throats and the common cold. I've still gotten the flu tough [​IMG] but the times I have gotten a cold I was brushing with something else or skipped brushing a few days.

Off track but his mouthwash is also a great deodorizer. People cutting garlic/onions just splash on their hands and it kills the smell. I've touched stinky stuff, let it sit a few seconds and the smell is gone. Mythbusters need to use it on skunk smell. I bet it gets it out right away.

3. klstclair

klstclair New Member

Spry Dental Defense - good taste, no fluoride and no sugar. It's fresh, works well and not too sweet.

K

4. TGPlastic

TGPlastic Senior member

I use fucking Gleem because I like the packaging.

5. polarizer

polarizer New Member

I use Arm & Hammer, I'm quite pleased with it.

I use it too.
    I really enjoyed this paste [​IMG]

6. Asch

Asch Senior member

Colgate Total, but they're all the same as long as you get used to the taste and they contain fluoride, basically.

7. breakdown

breakdown Well-Known Member

I recently realized that all my whitnening toothpastes (was using Total with Whitening) have been making my teeth worse. I have some translucent spots, and the bleaching agents were making those spots even more translucent and uneven. So after my friend pointed out my spots were worse since he met me, I did some research and switched to an enamel restoring toothpaste by Arm & Hammer:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...59&catid=15481

I also considered Pronamel. But I have to say, after only a few days of the switch and my teeth feel way cleaner and look more even. The baking soda is also supposed to help neutralize acid from juices and soda that would contribute to enamel degradation, I don't drink those too much though. Not sure how much faith there is to this whole Liquid Calcium thing, but my teeth look better so I recommend it to anyone with similar translucent problems in their teeth.

8. pg600rr

pg600rr Senior member

I picked up Colgate Total a few weeks ago and hated it... it dried my mouth and throat out horribly and made my tongue and teeth feel like they had a film on them, gross shit. I am either gonna try the arm and hammer that some have mentioned on here or order some of that Italian shit from drugstore.com.

9. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

I find that the Listerine Whitening mouthwash before brushing actually whitens my teeth more than any of the toothpastes.

I like Denblan, but it is pricey. I often use Tom's of Maine, my requirements are fluoride but no SLS.

10. javyn

javyn Senior member

Chinese antifreeze with tartar control.

11. NoStyle14

NoStyle14 Well-Known Member

Rembrandt Sensitive for Cankersores with Whitening

If anyone gets cankersores when using the more harsh toothpaste brands out there, you might want to give this a try. My gums and lips are sensitive to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (found in almost every single brand of toothpaste) which leads to cakersores.

12. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Rembrandt Sensitive for Cankersores with Whitening

If anyone gets cankersores when using the more harsh toothpaste brands out there, you might want to give this a try. My gums and lips are sensitive to Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (found in almost every single brand of toothpaste) which leads to cakersores.

Tom's of Maine doesn't have SLS, neither does Denblan. I think on of the Trader Joe's toothpastes also doesn't have it.

13. kitten97

kitten97 New Member