• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Time of Life?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
For me, so far, it has been college and its not even close. please tell me it gets better (34 now).

You have to make it better.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xericx
For me, so far, it has been college and its not even close. please tell me it gets better (34 now).

It doesn't. And don't have kids.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pstoller
+?.

The worst times in my life have been when I didn't fully appreciate what I had; the best times, when I did. Over time, I've come to appreciate what I have more and more. Which is to say, life gets better if you let it.

+10000000000000000000000000

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
It doesn't. And don't have kids.

Have kids, just don't get married.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim

Have kids, just don't get married.

Run the math on that one for me. Not the procreation math, but the child support....

silvere2

Reaction score
Run the math on that one for me. Not the procreation math, but the child support....

Oh man, it's already 235k per kid (not counting college). Adding child support to that they become really expensive little creatures.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by silvere2
Oh man, it's already 235k per kid (not counting college). Adding child support to that they become really expensive little creatures.

My kid's 4. We'll hit your number by the end of 2011.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

what the hell? are you stuffing all his toys with pure uncut coke?

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You spend almost $50K a year ($1,000 a week) on a kid under 5??

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mkarim
You spend almost $50K a year ($1,000 a week) on a kid under 5??

Live in New York. Pay a nanny. Feed and clothe and school and entertain the boy. Don't spend the change in one store...

cretaceous_cretin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
sorry to self-quote, but i wanted to make clear that by "relaxing" i didn't mean stop working. i work as hard now as i did at 35 or 45, maybe harder. it's just that with age, experience, and a certain measure of success you get confidence, so you're not always looking over your shoulder and wondering whether you did the right thing. i think that's critical to being creative and is not at all the same thing as taking long afternoon naps. though i do like those on the weekend.

I liked the more ambiguous definition of 'relaxing', implying to stop working. I do contract work and while working it is good, but when I don't it is magnificent. Play time!

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
preschool

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not the most positive person, so unfortunately, there have only been a handful of periods in my life where I acknowledged at the time how great they were.

I had a stretch about two years ago where everything was really aligning for me: doing well in college, having a blast with friends, a new and exciting romantic relationship, making good money with my eBay biz. I went through a real rough patch through the end of 2009 and most of last year, but I realized a couple of weeks ago that at some point, I got to the light at the end of that tunnel.

Right now, I have no steady source of income, no real job prospects in the area, no real happenings on the dating front, and a pretty quiet social life. Yet, I realized that these last couple of months have been some of the most enjoyable times I've had in several years. No, I don't have the above things. But I'm saving a bit here and there, getting good sleep, hitting the gym often, cooking and am probably in the best physical shape of my life. It's a foreign feeling for me, but I feel surprisingly satisfied with life right now.

One more thing, re: the worst times in my life. Most of those have undoubtedly been accentuated by the realization that I had taken certain things and experiences shortly before those bad stretches for granted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads