• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best tie width of Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suit?

nurktwin

Reaction score
Is there an ideal tie width for the Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald suit?

DandySF

Reaction score
For a balanced look, try to find a tie that approximates the width of the lapels.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DandySF
For a balanced look, try to find a tie that approximates the width of the lapels.

/thread.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heli0x
3.0, or 2.75-3.25 depending on your frame

Your frame is immaterial - the tie needs to have congruency with the lapel width and shirt collar - imo.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhcam8
Your frame is immaterial - the tie needs to have congruency with the lapel width and shirt collar - imo.

Yes and no - the lapel size already has to confirm to your frame. So, there is a connection, but not a direct one.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
Yes and no - the lapel size already has to confirm to your frame. So, there is a connection, but not a direct one.

He already has the suit so the discussion is about the relationship of the lapel, tie, and shirt collar sizes. If he were suit shopping then the lapel would be a consideration, nicht wahr?

nurktwin

Reaction score
Thanks. I measured the lapel of the Fitz and it's 3 inches. So I guess I need a 3 inch wide tie. Does anyone know the width of the Brooks Repp ties like this one.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nurktwin
Thanks. I measured the lapel of the Fitz and it's 3 inches. So I guess I need a 3 inch wide tie. Does anyone know the width of the Brooks Repp ties like this one.

I think the BB slim ties look best w/the Fitzgerald. You don't need to have the exact widths in everything, which is generally impossible, but just avoid extremes. I'm pretty sure the site tells you the widths on some, at least. The one you asked about is 3.5 - their standard ties are 3.5 and some Golden Fleece go to 4". The slims are about 2.75 - 3" depending on the style. The BF are about 2.5 - 2.75. Enjoy!

nurktwin

Reaction score
Thanks. Would the standard 3.5" Brooks tie look to wide with the Fitz?

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Would the standard 3.5" Brooks tie look to wide with the Fitz?
I doubt it.

clemente21

Reaction score

I think the BB slim ties look best w/the Fitzgerald. You don't need to have the exact widths in everything, which is generally impossible, but just avoid extremes. I'm pretty sure the site tells you the widths on some, at least. The one you asked about is 3.5 - their standard ties are 3.5 and some Golden Fleece go to 4". The slims are about 2.75 - 3" depending on the style. The BF are about 2.5 - 2.75. Enjoy!
Resurrecting this old thread. Are the BF 2.25/2.5's too narrow for the Fitzgerald? After all, wouldn't that tie and jacket combo be right in line with JFK?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics