• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best tie rack?

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
I hate all of mine. I am sure someone has one that is much better. Nothing from Sharper Image, please.

tlmusic

Reaction score
I would also like to hear suggestions. I roll up my ties in drawers or use wood coat hangers, but have never found an ideal tie rack.

bstang46

Reaction score
Just early this week I was wondering this myself!

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tiehangerpq8.jpg

http://www.woodlore.com/products_han...orage/tie.html

bstang46

Reaction score
I picked up a Woodlore tie hanger yesterday, but it has a horizontal configuration holding 20 ties. Works perfect so far. Picked it up at Nordstrom's Rack for $7.97. The one shown above was available for $8.97. It seemed to be a good deal to me.

Azure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bstang46
I picked up a Woodlore tie hanger yesterday, but it has a horizontal configuration holding 20 ties. Works perfect so far. Picked it up at Nordstrom's Rack for $7.97. The one shown above was available for $8.97. It seemed to be a good deal to me.

It´s

# 82020\tTie Hanger\t$24.95 ! Not 8,97$

_AMD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Azure
It´s

# 82020\tTie Hanger\t$24.95 ! Not 8,97$

bstang was quoting the prices at Nordtrom Rack, not at Woodlore.

Aaron

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isnt the best solution to roll them up and put them in a box or draw? People say that hanging them for too long can strech the silk out, especially if you have alot of ties on the same rack. Anyone else hear this?

bstang46

Reaction score
Originally Posted by _AMD
bstang was quoting the prices at Nordtrom Rack, not at Woodlore.

Aaron

Thanks. This prices were at Nordstroms Rack, not Woodlore.

Brandon

JORDAN MARC

Reaction score
The most sensible and stylish way to store ties is to cubbyhole them, rolled and facing forward, not curled up on their side. Ideally what you need is a partitioned drawer with cubbies measuring 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 inches on the inside. Whether you prefer wide ties or skinny anorexics, the silk needs a bit of room to breathe while resting. You also need to be able to hook out your choice to wear with a finger slipped in from the side. The partitions, sides, front and back of the drawer should be made of hardwood. The choice of species and stain are up to you. So is the protective finish, which should be durable. The bottom of the drawer need not be of the same hardwood (to save money) and can be made of lesser quality wood faced with white laminate on the topside, which makes a nice neutral background against the ties that is easy to clean. The more ties you have, the more drawers you need, each of which should ride on heavy-duty glides from, say, Accuride. Whether the glides are mounted at the sides of the drawers or hidden underneath, it's up to you. By the same token, if you prefer cutouts in the drawerfronts or knobby pulls on solid fronts, it's up to you.

Now, what's the best way to roll a tie? Fold it in half and roll under starting at the back and ending up at the front blade. If freehanding the rollup is difficult to manage, try a 6-inch wide wooden dowel in a thickness you find comfortable.

A final thought. If you have to a collection of silk pocket squares to complement your ties, make a partitioned drawer for them. Most squares measure 17-20 inches/side, so a centre partition should suffice, giving you two big square wells. Don't fold your silks; store them in flat piles. After each wearing, let them hang out for 2 or 3 days by clipping them gently to a hook. And research how to properly press them smooth before returning them to the drawer. The same goes for linen hankies.

Tinny

Reaction score
About ten years ago, my wife bought me hands-down, the best tie racks I have ever used. I am a bit crazy, and own about 600 ties. This rack can hold about 80 ties comfortably, and when you remove one from any spot on the rack, you don't disturb the others. My problem is that I need to buy more racks, and I can't find this model ANYWHERE. I don't know who makes it. It is similar in concept to the "BT Hanger".
Anyone help me out with this?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads