• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best tailor in ny

Cpal

Reaction score
Sorry - lets hear the opinions - spelling can be a challenge apparently

I've heard from Marc that he's a fan of Raphael - any other contenders??

thc

Reaction score
I go to Peppino Tailors on 60th & Lexington. He's expensive, but the best out there, in my opinion. I got a recommendation from a woman at the Cerruti boutique.

Cpal

Reaction score
It looks like I'm between Raphael, Nicolosi and Oxxford MTM and Darren's next NY visit (March) - not sure which to chose at this point but I'm open to any others - never heard anything about Peppino. Actually having Joe Centofanti (Philadelphia legend - he's now in his 80s) working on one for me now - I've been very pleased with his attention to detail and styling thus far - first fitting).

Thanks.

kirkland

Reaction score
Cpal---I'd be interested in your feedback about Mr. Centofanti's suit. I spoke with him a few times and even came close to taking Amtrak from Penn Sta., NYC, to Ardmore, but then thought it might be too much of a hassle what with fittings and all. Still, I'd like to know how he does. I recall him telling me his house style is an English walking suit.

Cpal

Reaction score
Will do - he's out of town early this week but I'm expecting a fitting early the week following. So far I'm pleased. He does tend to prefer british styling.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I grew up 1/2 mile a way from Mr Centofanti. My mother had him make a suit 15 years ago from fabric that I gave her. She was quite pleased.

I thought he had pretty much retired and given the business to the daughter who uses Indiviualized to make the shirts. I would have assumed that they were using either English-American or H. FreemanTo make the clothing.

I am not quite sure why no one here mentions Nino Corvato. He is in the Same building as Nicolosi. I can no longer afford Nino. I once watched one of his tailors hand stitch down the long seams on a 7oz super 1??'s suit. this was so the suit would not pucker in humidity or pressing.
Savatore Ragusa is also in that building. Sal is also up in years, but he does turn out a beautiful garment.

Cpal

Reaction score
He (Centofanti) has three other tailors (all 70+) that work in his shop. His daughter does some shirt business but his primary clients are long-term customers who have been with him for 20 years+. From what I can tell, everything (except shirts) is still done entirely in his shop - I have stopped in at various points and seen him cutting/working on my suit. I've been very pleased with him so far but am looking elsewhere for someone who can work with me for years to come.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads