Best Tailor in Chicago for Alterations?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Eustace Tilley, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

Can you eat pork tenderloin at lunch? [​IMG]

It looks as if they stopped serving lunch. There was hardly anyone ever in there when I'd go. So he's getting Despos dinner then.

2. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

If it was pants, there is a guy local to me in wheaton who is good
    Who? Local interest.

3. brax

brax Senior member

I, too, recommend Nick on Oak Street. After you're done with Nick, just walk up the block to Despos and see his magic.

4. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Senior member

Who? Local interest.

Try Squire Tailors down the street from Tate's Ice Cream , there use to be a guy named Enzo who was fantastic but is gone now. The remaining 2 tailors are excellent on pants.

Last time I was in there was an older gentleman who had about 20+ Oxxford suits being wheeled in and he was having everything from the lapels to waist adjusted. Some of these went back a long way and I got a chance to speak with him and he was an exec downtown that only used these guys for all his Oxxford and better garments because of their quality. I absolutely love the way they sew in heel guard and their pants adjustments are as good as anyone.

They only accept cash but they will recut it until you are happy.

There is also Joe's tailors in Oak Brook and while they are technically as good at any operation as anyone I have seen and even better than most, they don't have the eye for what looks good for differing body types. Specifically they will sometimes error on the side of loose instead of fitted.

They did work for me on an overcoat that was 80+ years old and was a sentimental item from a mentor, and redid the whole jacket in such a way that you it looked like it was made for me.

5. Gsin

Gsin Active Member

I had a John Nordstrom suit I purchased from Nordstrom Rack tailored at Joe's Tailor Shop in Lombard at Yorktown.

The shop is run by some very polite and service oriented Polish ladies. While they didn't present themselves as fashion forward types, they did know alterations very well.

The outcome was very, very well done: as good as I've seen in my modest sartorial experience. Prices where moderately expensive, but in my opinion, well worth it.

Highly recommended.

PS - I also had a shirt tailored for a slimmer fit, also very well done.

6. otc

otc Senior member

Anyone know about Franks on roosevelt? I was on my way to get some work done there but I realized the suit was originally made by BB so they would work on it...saved me a lot of money but wonder if the quality is as good (the people on the phone at franks at least sounded good.

7. benthere-donethat

benthere-donethat Member

If it was pants, there is a guy local to me in wheaton who is good and if it was leather a lady in yorktown. .
    Who is your Wheaton guy? Do you only trust him only for pants? I live there, too, and need some pants and jacket sleeves done... Thanks. ETA: oops... i just read the rest of the thread and saw your comments about Squire. will check them out. (and read the whole thread next time...)

8. Johnathan

Johnathan Senior member

Is there anyone in Chicago good at slimming down shirts for a reasonable rate? Is it worth going to someone like Despos for it, or is he less expensive than I'm inferring?

9. The Snob

The Snob Senior member

Hey all--
    The boy friend who is not quite as internet savvy (he needs to join this forum) recently got a killer Borrelli sportscoat for next to nothing but now needs it altered (sz 38 fits quite well but he wants it taken out a bit for future weight gain ha). We tried Despos but he is no longer open for business for alterations and so I come here... to ask for other recommendations.

Despos suggested Oak St. Tailors over the phone as a replacement and I see someone else has recommended Nick there... but of course, this is Borrelli (!) and as such it requires the absolute best. The Yelp reviews for OST are not so hot so can anyone else attest to OST's tailoring skillz? Or have another recommendation?

So far it's a NO on Paul Chang and NO on Boguslaw.

10. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Try Squire Tailors down the street from Tate's Ice Cream , there use to be a guy named Enzo who was fantastic but is gone now. The remaining 2 tailors are excellent on pants.

Ahh, great, thank you. It turns out Squire Tailors is who I use. I've always been happy with their work. My ability to compare them to other tailors is limited, though, so I wanted to know the experience of others in the area.

11. emorse

emorse Active Member

+1 on Golden Needle. Maria is great.

12. ld111134

ld111134 Senior member

+1 on Golden Needle. Maria is great.

She is great...and she could pass for Ariana Huffington's sister. When I told her that I was met with a blank stare. [​IMG]

13. thomasec

thomasec Senior member

Is there anyone in Chicago good at slimming down shirts for a reasonable rate? Is it worth going to someone like Despos for it, or is he less expensive than I'm inferring?

Sorry to bump this thread, but I would also like to know this...

14. lizzard

lizzard Member

Any1 know any good priced and places around Evanston or Rogers Park / North of the loop?

15. uwsmuseumguy

uwsmuseumguy Well-Known Member

anyone have any experience with "Tails" in Old Town?