• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Tailor in Chicago for Alterations?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
Can you eat pork tenderloin at lunch?
blush.gif

It looks as if they stopped serving lunch. There was hardly anyone ever in there when I'd go. So he's getting Despos dinner then.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rssmsvc
If it was pants, there is a guy local to me in wheaton who is good
Who? Local interest.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, too, recommend Nick on Oak Street. After you're done with Nick, just walk up the block to Despos and see his magic.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
Who? Local interest.

Try Squire Tailors down the street from Tate's Ice Cream , there use to be a guy named Enzo who was fantastic but is gone now. The remaining 2 tailors are excellent on pants.

Last time I was in there was an older gentleman who had about 20+ Oxxford suits being wheeled in and he was having everything from the lapels to waist adjusted. Some of these went back a long way and I got a chance to speak with him and he was an exec downtown that only used these guys for all his Oxxford and better garments because of their quality. I absolutely love the way they sew in heel guard and their pants adjustments are as good as anyone.

They only accept cash but they will recut it until you are happy.

There is also Joe's tailors in Oak Brook and while they are technically as good at any operation as anyone I have seen and even better than most, they don't have the eye for what looks good for differing body types. Specifically they will sometimes error on the side of loose instead of fitted.

They did work for me on an overcoat that was 80+ years old and was a sentimental item from a mentor, and redid the whole jacket in such a way that you it looked like it was made for me.

Gsin

Reaction score
I had a John Nordstrom suit I purchased from Nordstrom Rack tailored at Joe's Tailor Shop in Lombard at Yorktown.

The shop is run by some very polite and service oriented Polish ladies. While they didn't present themselves as fashion forward types, they did know alterations very well.

The outcome was very, very well done: as good as I've seen in my modest sartorial experience. Prices where moderately expensive, but in my opinion, well worth it.

Highly recommended.

PS - I also had a shirt tailored for a slimmer fit, also very well done.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone know about Franks on roosevelt? I was on my way to get some work done there but I realized the suit was originally made by BB so they would work on it...saved me a lot of money but wonder if the quality is as good (the people on the phone at franks at least sounded good.

Reaction score
If it was pants, there is a guy local to me in wheaton who is good and if it was leather a lady in yorktown. .
Who is your Wheaton guy? Do you only trust him only for pants? I live there, too, and need some pants and jacket sleeves done... Thanks. ETA: oops... i just read the rest of the thread and saw your comments about Squire. will check them out. (and read the whole thread next time...)

Johnathan

Reaction score
Is there anyone in Chicago good at slimming down shirts for a reasonable rate? Is it worth going to someone like Despos for it, or is he less expensive than I'm inferring?

The Snob

Reaction score
Hey all--
The boy friend who is not quite as internet savvy (he needs to join this forum) recently got a killer Borrelli sportscoat for next to nothing but now needs it altered (sz 38 fits quite well but he wants it taken out a bit for future weight gain ha). We tried Despos but he is no longer open for business for alterations and so I come here... to ask for other recommendations.

Despos suggested Oak St. Tailors over the phone as a replacement and I see someone else has recommended Nick there... but of course, this is Borrelli (!) and as such it requires the absolute best. The Yelp reviews for OST are not so hot so can anyone else attest to OST's tailoring skillz? Or have another recommendation?

So far it's a NO on Paul Chang and NO on Boguslaw.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try Squire Tailors down the street from Tate's Ice Cream , there use to be a guy named Enzo who was fantastic but is gone now. The remaining 2 tailors are excellent on pants.

Ahh, great, thank you. It turns out Squire Tailors is who I use. I've always been happy with their work. My ability to compare them to other tailors is limited, though, so I wanted to know the experience of others in the area.

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emorse
+1 on Golden Needle. Maria is great.

She is great...and she could pass for Ariana Huffington's sister. When I told her that I was met with a blank stare.
laugh.gif

thomasec

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnathan
Is there anyone in Chicago good at slimming down shirts for a reasonable rate? Is it worth going to someone like Despos for it, or is he less expensive than I'm inferring?

Sorry to bump this thread, but I would also like to know this...

lizzard

Reaction score
Any1 know any good priced and places around Evanston or Rogers Park / North of the loop?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads