• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Tailor in Chicago for Alterations?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need to do a bit of work - can anybody give me an idea of the costs involved in having a suit adjusted? basically, I have some bespoke suits that fit me very well, and I lost 50 pounds. I want to lose more before I buy anything new, so I need to take suits in. just an estimate, or an approximation.

Zegnamtl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
..... bespoke suits that fit me very well, and I lost 50 pounds. I want to lose more before I buy anything new.......

Congratulations!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to do a bit of work - can anybody give me an idea of the costs involved in having a suit adjusted? basically, I have some bespoke suits that fit me very well, and I lost 50 pounds. I want to lose more before I buy anything new, so I need to take suits in. just an estimate, or an approximation.

Is this sort of alteration even do-able? It seems to me that a 50-lb loss would result in the need for a completely new set of suits. Wouldn't your existing suits be several sizes off?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spertia
Is this sort of alteration even do-able? It seems to me that a 50-lb loss would result in the need for a completely new set of suits. Wouldn't your existing suits be several sizes off?

very possibly - but I am hoping that I can make due with alterations - I am trying to drop another 50-70 pounds before I buy a new wardrobe. I don't want to buy a temperary wardrobe, but I need to have some suits that fit me for the next year or so.

TIEALIGN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I have an old wool overcoat from Norton & Sons that requires quite a few adjustments. The garment is fairly expensive, so I am a bit hesitant to take it to an unskilled tailor. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a tailor in Chicago experienced in making complicated adjustments to expensive bespoke garments? Thanks, ET
Despos is great to work with...I have made the trip from STL to Chicago a couple times to see him and its always worth it.

Wick

Reaction score
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good alterations tailor in the Chicago north suburbs (Libertyville, Lake Forest, etc.)? I have some trousers and sportcoats that I need to get fitted. Also need functional button holes on the sportcoats. Any input would be appreciated.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ld111134

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
Can anyone recommend me a tailor who does decent alteration works on leather stuff? (BTW, I live in NW suburb of Chicago) I have a new leather jacket that sleeves needs to be shortened. TIA
Maria Tesseris at Golden Needle, whom I've recommended on this board and AAAC many times. She was named one of "Chicago's Best for 2007" by Chicago Magazine, plus she does the alterations for the local Marc Jacobs store. Maria's stock-in-trade is performing alterations for women (and a lot of men, too) who reside in the Gold Coast. She's an absolute darling and does fantastic, very meticulous work. She's altered just about all of my tailored clothing. Her shop is on the first floor of a brownstone at 814 North State Street (at Chicago Avenue) and her phone number is (312) 787-3416. Send me a private message, and I'll give you my name as a reference (she'd truly appreciate the fact that her customers are giving her referrals). Try going during the week (closed on Sundays and Mondays, but open until 6:30 p.m. otherwise)...don't go on Saturday, when Maria's shop is a virtual madhouse. EDIT I just realized that I posted about Maria on May 12th on this thread...my bad.

Wick

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wick
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good alterations tailor in the Chicago north suburbs (Libertyville, Lake Forest, etc.)? I have some trousers and sportcoats that I need to get fitted. Also need functional button holes on the sportcoats. Any input would be appreciated.

Bump.

Any recommendations? Thanks.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My input..... if you are getting a sleeve w/ working button holes shortened, you are going to spend $75 each anyway. If you're bringing a bunch of stuff, it's worth the trip downtown, since there don't seem to be too many people here with knowledge of the north burbs. As an alternative, you might consider asking in Neiman Marcus in the burbs and see who they recommend

Like a Gentleman

Reaction score
Go to Nick Fetua at Oak Street Tailors. He is expensive, but honestly is unreal in what he can do.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If they are high quality custom and you buy him lunch at Crofton on Wells or Naha, Despos might take a look at them.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
buy him lunch at Crofton on Wells .
Can you eat pork tenderloin at lunch?
blush.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads