• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best tailor in Boston area? any reccomendations?

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
need a tailor, yelp sucks and is not helping me decide, so anyone have any knowledge please let me know, the last tailor I went to up on the 'hill' sucked and made my pants wayyyy too long, and i had to go get them redone, now I am looking for someone to do my suit tailoring... where the Boston people at??

mikej77

Reaction score
If you can take the quick trip to Cambridge, Jacks Tailoring on Mass Avenue is great. It is a very small shop but Jack does some amazing work, you will not be disappointed.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikej77
If you can take the quick trip to Cambridge, Jacks Tailoring on Mass Avenue is great. It is a very small shop but Jack does some amazing work, you will not be disappointed.

yea Cambridge is very easy 4 me, I will check it out

Cornellian

Reaction score

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jack's is excellent, as is Rizzo's. Rizzo's is pricey so I only go there for my best suits. For basic alterations, I really like Frank's Tailoring at Park Street. Great shop who does mostly men, and they do a great job with waists, hems, sleeves, etc. Prices are lower than Jack's and Rizzo's.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
Jack's is excellent, as is Rizzo's. Rizzo's is pricey so I only go there for my best suits. For basic alterations, I really like Frank's Tailoring at Park Street. Great shop who does mostly men, and they do a great job with waists, hems, sleeves, etc. Prices are lower than Jack's and Rizzo's.

I have been going to Joe at Rizzo for a few years. For suits he is worth it. For a simple hem or adjust waist, I would go to Jack's.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mikej77

Jack is fantastic. He was a tailor by trade, meaning he did more than just alterations back in the day, though I don't know if he has plans ever to do this again. Jack's work is magical.

Originally Posted by Cornellian
I've heard good things about:

Rizzo's
66 Church St.
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617) 547-5052

an example of his work:
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...ighlight=rizzo

Todd

Joe is moody and has done lousy work for me, though a couple of things he did were almost great. He's also the most expensive tailor in town.

Originally Posted by needshoehelp

Never heard of Frank's. May have to try, though Cambridge is easier for me.

Originally Posted by pscolari
I have been going to Joe at Rizzo for a few years. For suits he is worth it. For a simple hem or adjust waist, I would go to Jack's.

It may just be me, then, who doesn't like Rizzo.

Another to try is Benny Ho. He was Louis's in-house tailor for years and now has his own shop out in green line territory. He is between Jack and Joe in terms of price, but is a honest, nice man and does great work.

Gordon Geeko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
Another to try is Benny Ho. He was Louis's in-house tailor for years and now has his own shop out in green line territory. He is between Jack and Joe in terms of price, but is a honest, nice man and does great work.

Sadly Benny is now retired. +1 on Frank's and Jack's. Rizzo is a very nice option for bespoke and complicated alterations but probably not worth the $ on simpler tasks.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RunningBeagle
Joe is moody and has done lousy work for me, though a couple of things he did were almost great. He's also the most expensive tailor in town.

I've been using Joe for alterations since about 1984, and my results from him have been...well...diverse. If he likes a project and is in a good mood, the work is quite fine and he does have the eye of a bespoke tailor. His enthusiasm can often lag, however.

He sends trousers out for alteration and doesn't do them himself.

I will be giving Jack's a try on the next few things, just to see if the outcome is more reliable.

- B

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
FYI,

We take in outside alterations for those who would like to use this service we provide. In the past, Jack was our Tailor but now have employed the head tailor from Southwick to do our alterations for us. He does amazing work.

Gary

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
FYI,

We take in outside alterations for those who would like to use this service we provide. In the past, Jack was our Tailor but now have employed the head tailor from Southwick to do our alterations for us. He does amazing work.

Gary

I recently moved to new digs about four blocks away from your shop, so this is great news.

- B

DrZRM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Mario the Tailor in Chestnut Hill, but mostly he's done pretty basic stuff for me, sleeves, cuffs, maybe a couple of jackets taken in. Overall, quite happy with him.

614 Hammond Street
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467
(617) 731-6565

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drink8648
FYI,

Gary

Gary I am sorry I forgot to mention you. These days my alliterations go through Drinkwater's almost exclusively and I have never been displeased.

Mershanks

Reaction score
I vouch for Jack's Tailoring as well. Very high quality work. So far I've had him shorten suit jackets and blazers, and customize some of my denim jeans.

Just some advice: Plan ahead time wise if you have a complex tailoring issue.

JordanB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gordon Geeko
Sadly Benny is now retired. +1 on Frank's and Jack's. Rizzo is a very nice option for bespoke and complicated alterations but probably not worth the $ on simpler tasks.

Sorry to hear that. I lived in Brookline for 2 years and he was one of the nice parts of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads