1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best tailor in Boston area? any reccomendations?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by pg600rr, Oct 9, 2008.

1. mikej77

mikej77 Senior member

Prior to moving away from Boston, I used to always bring my suits to Jack. He is a real good guy and my suits always turned out great. Looking forward to using him again when I move back.

2. rjsphd

rjsphd Senior member

I had good luck with Jack, but better with Le Couturier House of Alterations in Central Square. Less money than Jack and the work is just as good or better. For example, I had a shirt taken in that had sleeves that were too long. The tailor moved the whole placard up, not just the cuff. Very nice work. I took jeans to Jack to take in the waist and he turned away the work. LC did it for me and it turned out great. Only fault I have with him is when he says he will do the work by Tuesday he means he will do the work ON Tuesday. I just call ahead to make sure the stuff is done.

3. deburn

deburn Senior member

I need to get a couple of suits pressed. Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks

4. Asch

Asch Senior member

Jack's work was excellent.

5. deburn

deburn Senior member

I've just started going to Jerry's Tailor on Boylston St. I've given him a couple of suit pants to alter. I've also asked his opinion on my suits - that I like a more fitted look and what does he think of the fit; can/should it be altered to get a more fitted look.

I've shown him two suits and his answer has been, no they look great as is and if I made them more fitted they wouldn't look good. The pants on these 2 suits are pleated. So I'm wondering if that's his actual opinion or whether he's just not interested in that kind of work.

Anyone care to comment?

Still looking for someone to press suits.

6. Matt44

Matt44 Senior member

Anyone have experience with the in-house tailoring at Barneys in Copley Square?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2012
  7. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

French cleaners in back bay. One of the best option in Boston, imo.
    I would also recommend having your shirts done there. Cold water wash, gentle dry and then iron by hand I believe. Their folded shirts can be worn out of the plastic, unlike the cheaper options which require a touch up (or worse) prior to wearing.

8. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

As mentioned, Gary Drinkwaters in house tailer is very very good. I had a competing tailor work on a coat he had done for me (in a pinch) and she asked me who had done the original as the work was top notch.

9. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Yes. Sport coat and also some denim where they reattached the hem.
    I would recommend taking more complicated alterations out to Porter square and having Drinkwaters fit and execute. Gary is very good and his tailor is top notch.

10. Matt44

Matt44 Senior member

Very helpful, thanks!

11. herfitup

herfitup Well-Known Member

Anything the least bit complicated I take to Mario. I'm not a fan of going into the city and Chestnut Hill is as close as I'm willing to travel. For simple stuff like pants hems or shortening sleeves I use my local guy.

12. Frankie22

Frankie22 Senior member

Not a problem.
    Gary has been in the clothing business for over 30 years, spending a good portion of that @ Louis Boston which was one of the best high end department stores in the world during it's prime.
    Louis Brought Rubanacci and a bunch of other high end boutique makers to the states.

13. mxtwoforty

mxtwoforty Active Member

Bumping this:

Have been to Jerrys on Boylston and while he has done consistent work, he doesn't seem to want to do much, say "everything looks fine as is" - Not sure I would bring him anything that needed major work.

I have also checked out Newbury Street tailors but once again, dont think I would bring anything more than a minor alteration to them..

Begs the questions -

Favorite tailors inside of Boston proper?

14. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Drinkwater's is excellent. I use his store for MTM shirting and I've also purchased other items there. He always makes mention that they can do alterations for other stuff you have at home.

Joe Rizzo in Harvard is also very good. Anything I purchase that isn't MTM I bring to him for alterations. I'm sure Drinkwater's could also do it just as well but logistically it's easier to get to Rizzo's from my place and I have a good rapport with him now for alterations.

Next step for me is finding a good place to get things pressed.

15. SartoriaMac

SartoriaMac Member

I'll be in Boston the first week of November for a couple of fittings with my Bostonian clients... I'm a bespoke tailor from Boston, trained in Rome Italy where I now live. If anyone is interested in REAL Neapolitan bespoke tailoring get in touch and we can discuss. You can find my website from my profile. Cheers.