• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best tailor in Boston area? any reccomendations?

RanMan

Reaction score
Rodolfo's is a one man shop and everything is done in house. Good luck, i think you'll like his work.

Gordon Geeko

Reaction score
Another one worth checking out is Raymond Personal Tailor (also does bespoke) in the Financial DIstrict at 160 Federal. He trained on Savile Row and has an excellent eye for detail.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Might have to try them myself, Is Rodolfo the tailor or is it run by other people?

Hmmm, this is exactly the service i don't want and am fed up with and I'm a pretty straightforward customer. Why is it so hard to find a tailor that understands modern proportions?

I dont know either, this has been my experience with past tailors, always set in their ways how they want it and not how the customer wants it... if I dont like it, Ill just have him fix, a waste of both our time, but atleast it'll be how I like it. I even brought a picture to show exactly how I wanted the pants to be!

free man

Reaction score
I think tailors probably get pretty set in their ways because most people don't care. When they get a customer who knows what he wants, they don't like it.

Absolute Beginner

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
I will be giving Jack's a try on the next few things, just to see if the outcome is more reliable.

Bill, I'm curious if you've had an opportunity to try Jack's yet.

Thanks.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Absolute Beginner
Bill, I'm curious if you've had an opportunity to try Jack's yet.

Thanks.

Yes. I had some simple to moderate things done, and he did an acceptable job.

I have some much more difficult things with him that are in process yet, so judgement is still pending.

To his credit, there were a couple things that I wanted done that he said were beyond his ability. I much prefer that to someone who will say that they can do it, and then botch it.

- B

Absolute Beginner

Reaction score
I totally agree, and appreciate that candor. Unfortunately, the latter is exactly the situation in which I currently find myself.

I think I'll give Jack's a try as well.

Thanks,

e

HalfCanvas

Reaction score
I got a pair of trousers finished at Raymond Personal Tailor in the financial district. Raymond was an apprentice at Huntsman as a teenager (he's originally from London). He still does bespoke work, with the jackets apparently done in house (not sure if the pants are). His shop is very nice, with a comfortable changing room and nice carpeting. Raymond himself is very nice and was enjoyable to be around. It was a very professional transaction.

As for the work, it was top notch with quick turnaround. The dropped the trousers off on Thursday and had them back in a week. The length was perfect, and Raymond understands that the amount of break needs to take into consideration the bottom width. For $15, I couldn't be happier.

Boston Tweed

Reaction score
I've lived for a number of years in the Boston area and I've tried probably 10 tailors, usually with minimal success. There are only two that I have been impressed with, both for their quality of work and for their ability to listen and deliver what I'm looking for.

In Cambridge, I'd recommend Jack in Porter Square--he was the first good tailor I found and I only stopped going to him when I moved into Boston.

In Boston, I very highly recommend Rodolfo of Rodolfo's tailoring. He has tailored 10 jackets and numerous pairs of trousers for me (including a significant recut on a full cut Brooks jacket) and I've been nothing but satisfied. Additionally, he will willingly admit his limitations (like buttonholes) and recommend others who can do an excellent job.

You can't go wrong with either of these gentlemen.

Matt44

Reaction score
Hi folks . . . just a few thoughts about my recent experience with Rizzo. I had a John Varvatos overcoat that needed to be sized down from a 44R to a 42R -- so it was a somewhat complicated alteration. I also had the sleeves shortened and the hem raised. The total cost: $180.

On the whole, I'm impressed with the work. The shoulders came out nicely and the torso was taken in with a subtle touch. The area under the arms towards the back didn't turn out as well. But the work there is still satisfactory.

Joe was friendly and took an interest in his product, which I liked since this wasn't a particularly sophisticated brand of clothing. From our quick interaction, I can see how he'd have his own strong opinions about how a garment should be cut.

Anyway, I think I'd return to Rizzo if I ever need complicated work done.

needshoehelp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gordon Geeko
Sadly Benny is now retired. +1 on Frank's and Jack's. Rizzo is a very nice option for bespoke and complicated alterations but probably not worth the $ on simpler tasks.
Bumping an old thread with a question. Now at this same location there is a "Bendi's Fine Fitting and Tailoring"--is this the same operation as before? It's open about 3-4 days a week per the sign. But when I search for Bendi's online, I get Benny Ho, who I understand has retired. Any insight?

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another bump. Who is Boston does working button holes. I was under the impression Frank's did it, but he does't and doesn't know who does. I asked at Windsor Buttons on Temple street around the corner from Franks (which is a pretty cool place in it's own right by the way), and they told me very few people in the city do it any more, but they did not know of any.

So, who will cut working button holes in Boston? What has the world come to? Do I need to travel to New York?

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
So, who will cut working button holes in Boston? What has the world come to? Do I need to travel to New York?

Joe Calautti at Rizzo Tailor in Harvard Square will do up working buttonholes, as will Greg Thomajan's tailor at his shop Zareh's in the Financial District. They only do handsewn buttonholes...Zareh does them exactly like Oxxford, which is a brand that they have long carried.

Not cheap...something like $20 or $25 per sewn hole.

- B

Gordon Geeko

Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
who will cut working button holes in Boston? What has the world come to? Do I need to travel to New York?

You might also try Raymond Personal Tailor on Federal St. He does bespoke so there is an excellent chance that he does button holes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads