Best sword fight.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by lefty, Sep 18, 2009.

1. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Rathbone, Flynn, Power -- all good.

I believe Captain Blood had some good sword fights.

The Princess Bride sword fights were lots of fun, even if completely unrealistic. The Rob Roy one didn't do it for me. Rob Roy's sword could have shattered that rapier. The Star Wars ones are entertaining, but not what I think of as sword fighting.

Stewart Granger and Mel Ferrer in Scaramouche had some good sword fights.

Moar recently Richard Lester had some amusing ones in The Three Musketeers/The Four Musketeers.

And of course there is George Hamilton in Zorro the Gay Blade.

2. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Senior member

The two gals with the dirks in the Mummy (2?)

3. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

IMHO the #5 looks like a real fencing duel between two trained swordsman.

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

None from The Highlander movies?
    I know, I know, Highlander. Never worked for me.
    Rathbone, Flynn, Power -- all good. I believe Captain Blood had some good sword fights.
    Now you're talking. Here's a little info on the CB finale.
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. And here's the fight. 10. Peter Blood vs. Levasseur
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    Stewart Granger and Mel Ferrer in Scaramouche had some good sword fights. Moar recently Richard Lester had some amusing ones in The Three Musketeers/The Four Musketeers. And of course there is George Hamilton in Zorro the Gay Blade.
    Can you find some decent clips? lefty

5. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Senior member

Not a sword but I thought it was a decent showing of kali/escrima

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Also the knife sparring session from redbelt was the best I have ever seen in a movie, big ups to mamet for the realism. Cant find a clip on you tube though.

6. retronotmetro

retronotmetro Senior member

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

The master behind many of these great Hollywood sword fights was Fred Cavens.

[​IMG]
    Rathbone and Cavens working on choreography.

"Fred Cavens, fencing master to the stars, paid him special tribute. Of all the actors he coached, Basil Rathbone was the one most likely to have succeeded in competitive fencing."

Cavens stood in for Rathbone on a few shots in The Court Jester.

Rathbone on Kaye, "After a couple of weeks of instruction Danny Kaye could completely outfight me! Danny's reflexes were incredibly fast, and nothing had to be shown or explained to him a second time."

Cavens also taught Jean Peters, the best female swashbuckler of them all.

lefty

8. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

My favorite, from Sword of Doom

9. Gorthaur Melwasul

Gorthaur Melwasul Senior member

Sanjuro.
    [​IMG]

I was disappointed of the lack of samourai sword style.
    I am happy now. A sword fight is like lightning, quick and accurate.

10. TKDKid

TKDKid Senior member

Donnie Yen vs Jing Wu, SPL:

11. Nananine

Nananine Senior member

I usually don't like Donnie Yen's choreography. Way too flashy. But his choreography at the end of the Seven Swords was awesome. Full 9 minutes of pre-fight + end fight:

12. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

Eric Roberts vs F. Murray Abraham in By The Sword:

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Also the fight scene from the Christopher Lambert and John Lone movie The Hunted (1995) with Yoshio Harada v.s. a bullet train full of ninja, posing as golfers. I can't seem to locate any decent video of the whole thing though. So you'll have to take my word for it. Here's the trailer.

13. heli0x

heli0x Senior member

Supposedly the fight that defined the genre

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Also from Seppuku, but and with a bit more action

14. Night Owl

Night Owl Senior member

When I read the title I thought of a different sword fighting

[​IMG]

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

Some interestng choices.

Great fight from Scaramouche chewing up the scenery..

11. Andre Moreau vs. Noel, Marquis de Maynes

Got to give it to this guy:

12. Training

Same guy in action?

13. One-legged sworsdman vs. small halberd?

lefty