1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best sword fight.

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by lefty, Sep 18, 2009.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

In no particular order.

1. Robert Roy McGegor vs. Archibald Cunningham.
    So glad this fucker gets it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

2. Luke Skywalker vs. Darth Vader.
    They do a great job with what were sticks in handles.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

3. Man in Black vs. Inigo Montoya.
    "I am not left-handed."

And now three from the greatest swordsman in Hollywood: Basil Rathbone.

4. Robin Hood vs. Guy Gisbourne
    Flynn had style but he was limited to three or four beats. Rathbone could do a hundred.

5. Captain Esteban Pasquale vs. Don Diego de la Vega
    Power was much better than Flynn and he and Rathbone create a perfect straightforward fight. Swordsmen with real swords.

6. Hubert Hawkins vs. Sir Ravenhurst
    Rathbone called Kaye a natural and it shows in this scene from The Court Jester. Rathbone was 63 when they filmed.

lefty

2. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

3. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

I thought "Rob Roy" before clicking on this thread. Good choice.

4. Casual

Casual Senior member

Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance

5. willpower

willpower Senior member

Turtle vs Drama

heh [​IMG]

6. Helix

Helix Senior member

My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Only good thing about the Star Wars prequels. Everything is perfect. Doesn't hurt that the music is fucking epic.

I really like this one because really there aren't enough spears in movies.

7. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Senior member

The maul, and zorro fights are really good. Really good choices lefty, heavy on the rapier though. My contributions. Excellent Fight

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Its Donnie Yen, what more could you ask for

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Neo to round it out

8. AR_Six

AR_Six Senior member

^That one from hero looks damn cool in blu ray.

I have to say the Rob Roy fight doesn't even make sense at the end. Just pull the sword out of his hand, stupid.

9. Clark

Clark Senior member

The best sword fights ever put on film are the ones from The Duellists by Ridley Scott. The rapier duel at the start is great, as well as a heavy cavalry sabre duel in a basement later on. Check it out!

/C

10. tiecollector

tiecollector Senior member

The Rob Roy one was beyond lame, The Matrix looked pretty choreographed by some uncoordinated actors as well.

Hero was awesome, and so was 5. Captain Esteban Pasquale vs. Don Diego de la Vega

11. Sherlockian

Sherlockian Senior member

Dogtanian and the Three Muskahounds.

[​IMG]

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Well if we're throwing in the fantasy fights, then this may be the greatest sword fight of all. 7. Jason vs. skeletons. Long live Ray Harryhausen.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. 8. King Arthur vs. the Black Knight: "We'll call it a draw"

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. 9. Feraud vs. ? (For you, Clark.)

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. lefty

13. Clark

Clark Senior member

I should have said "most realistic sword fight put on film" perhaps, as the Jason vs. the skeletons is fantastic, especially considering when it was done.

/C

14. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

I thought "Rob Roy" before clicking on this thread. Good choice.
    +1.

15. Mauby

Mauby Senior member

None from The Highlander movies?

16. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rathbone, Flynn, Power -- all good.

I believe Captain Blood had some good sword fights.

The Princess Bride sword fights were lots of fun, even if completely unrealistic. The Rob Roy one didn't do it for me. Rob Roy's sword could have shattered that rapier. The Star Wars ones are entertaining, but not what I think of as sword fighting.

Stewart Granger and Mel Ferrer in Scaramouche had some good sword fights.

Moar recently Richard Lester had some amusing ones in The Three Musketeers/The Four Musketeers.

And of course there is George Hamilton in Zorro the Gay Blade.

17. stylesmurf

stylesmurf Senior member

The two gals with the dirks in the Mummy (2?)

18. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

IMHO the #5 looks like a real fencing duel between two trained swordsman.

19. lefty

lefty Senior member

None from The Highlander movies?
    I know, I know, Highlander. Never worked for me.
    Rathbone, Flynn, Power -- all good. I believe Captain Blood had some good sword fights.
    Now you're talking. Here's a little info on the CB finale.

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. And here's the fight. 10. Peter Blood vs. Levasseur

Stewart Granger and Mel Ferrer in Scaramouche had some good sword fights. Moar recently Richard Lester had some amusing ones in The Three Musketeers/The Four Musketeers. And of course there is George Hamilton in Zorro the Gay Blade.
    Can you find some decent clips? lefty

20. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Senior member

Not a sword but I thought it was a decent showing of kali/escrima

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags. Also the knife sparring session from redbelt was the best I have ever seen in a movie, big ups to mamet for the realism. Cant find a clip on you tube though.