• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best sushi in NYC

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm just wondering what you think is the best sushi restaurant in NYC? I've been to a few, but none have really WOWED me yet. I have yet to go to some of the more famous ones like Sushi Yasuda or Sasabune, but I would appreciate some insight
smile.gif
Thank you!

Orange

Reaction score
masa for the full course it includes some sushi there and the quality is great. Kobe beef sushi, white truffle sushi, etc.

Kuruma Zushi is also really good.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
jpan is pretty tasty

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Caveat: I'm just a tourist in NY.

I really liked Hibino in Brooklyn last time I was there in summer. Also went to Matsugen in Tribeca and thought it was pretty good, not great. I prefer less swanky, more neighborhood-y sushi.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
Hey all, I'm just wondering what you think is the best sushi restaurant in NYC? I've been to a few, but none have really WOWED me yet. I have yet to go to some of the more famous ones like Sushi Yasuda or Sasabune, but I would appreciate some insight
smile.gif
Thank you!

ffffuuuu.gif
if you tell me at least a month in advance i will go with you to sushi yasuda or masa

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
ffffuuuu.gif
if you tell me at least a month in advance i will go with you to sushi yasuda or masa

Here's your month in advance warning
laugh.gif
also, i think masa is part of restaurant week (which is this week and next, i think?). skip class, come down to nyc from ithaca, and let's go get some

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nahneun
Here's your month in advance warning
laugh.gif

also, i think masa is part of restaurant week (which is this week and next, i think?). skip class, come down to nyc from ithaca, and let's go get some

I'm in on this. I've always wanted to go, but none of my friends can rationalize the expense. I think going during restaurant week would be a bad idea though.

braised

Reaction score
Blue Ribbon Sushi, have only tried the one in Brooklyn but its really well done. Ask for the horse mackeral - they serve a sashimi with a citrusy sauce and return with the entire fish rack deep fried and salted, which is a crunchy treat. B

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a fan of Tomoe Sushi in the village. The long lines kind of suck, but once you get a table it's pretty smooth sailing from there.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I'm in on this. I've always wanted to go, but none of my friends can rationalize the expense. I think going during restaurant week would be a bad idea though.

i think restaurant week might be a bad idea as well, although i've never actually been to any restaurants for restaurant week

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
15 East for sushi.
better than any of the other major players? 15 east is apparently about 100, sushi yasuda between 150 and 200, and masa is 450 for the omakase. -_- 450 is currently more than my monthly budget for food (i spend at most 300) so i want to count masa out.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
-_- 450 is currently more than my monthly budget for food (i spend at most 300) so i want to count masa out.

Aww, shucks.
frown.gif

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I'm a fan of Tomoe Sushi in the village. The long lines kind of suck, but once you get a table it's pretty smooth sailing from there.
I've been to Tomoe and found it rather unremarkable. It was okay, but nothing exceptional. 7/10, and I'm a pretty generous grader. I don't think a 450 tasting menu is appropriate for most students and recent grads... :p I'd be willing to splurge on yasuda though if you come down from shithaca

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads