Best sushi in NYC

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by nahneun, Jan 23, 2011.

1. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Aww, shucks. [​IMG]

someday my man someday.

2. juuceman

juuceman Senior member

For traditional sushi, the top three are generally Yasuda, Kuruma, and Masa. Second tier includes Sasabune, Sushi Rose, 15 East, and a few others in midtown. Under that you can get into Gari, Ushiwakamawaru (sp), Geigha, etc.

Yasuda gives you the best bang for the buck, especially at lunch.

If you're looking for rolls or sashimi, disregard all of the above.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yasuda. Go before he leaves NYC

Ushiwakamaru and Gari are very good too.

4. pelicans

pelicans Senior member

Is Sushi Rose still around? I thought they closed years ago.

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I've been to Tomoe and found it rather unremarkable. It was okay, but nothing exceptional. 7/10, and I'm a pretty generous grader.

I don't think a 450 tasting menu is appropriate for most students and recent grads... :p I'd be willing to splurge on yasuda though if you come down from shithaca

I like how it feels less like a polished dining experience and more like a fun, almost rowdy Sushi Bar. I won't take my parents there, but all my friends love it. The sushi is probably 6.5/10 but I like the place enough to give an overall of 7.5/10. Prices aren't very high either.

6. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Have any of you been to Sushi Nanase in Westchester? The chef/owner there used to work at both Masa and Nobu before setting up his own shop. It is also considerably cheaper, not being in NYC and all.

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

better than any of the other major players?

15 east is apparently about 100, sushi yasuda between 150 and 200, and masa is 450 for the omakase.

-_- 450 is currently more than my monthly budget for food (i spend at most 300) so i want to count masa out.

I tend to like 15 East for consistently great quality. Better? At that level they're all great, it all kind of depends on the daily shipment. I like Gari, too.

And FWIW, I haven't been able to get out of 15 East for 100, plan on 200. Then again, we tend to let the Gaysian pick our drinks for us since it makes him visibly super happy, and that is worth the upcharge.

8. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

I'd be willing to splurge on yasuda though if you come down from shithaca

i find this offensive.

9. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

i find this offensive.
    why? not all cornellians love ithaca. tbh though, my only real gripe (but a very major one at that) with ithaca is the weather. it made me substantially more depressed

10. changy

changy Senior member

Hmm I usually go to Yasuda, Ushiwakamaru or Sushi Azabu. Yasuda is not necessarily $100-200. I've definitely done $70 before.

11. juuceman

juuceman Senior member

Yasuda. Go before he leaves NYC

I'm pretty sure Yasuda is gone. He went to Japna for their annual closing around the holidays and I'm unsure whether he actually came back for he two weeks in Japan that he was planning on.

That being said, while the overall experience is more fun with Yasuda, you're otherwise getting the same fish from any of the chefs.

There's very little chance of getting out of Yasuda for under $100/person at dinner if you eat omakase. Lunch, definitely.

12. Orange

Orange Senior member

Only one other person said Kuruma Zushi after me. You guys need to try it.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm pretty sure Yasuda is gone. He went to Japna for their annual closing around the holidays and I'm unsure whether he actually came back for he two weeks in Japan that he was planning on.

That being said, while the overall experience is more fun with Yasuda, you're otherwise getting the same fish from any of the chefs.

There's very little chance of getting out of Yasuda for under $100/person at dinner if you eat omakase. Lunch, definitely.

Didn't realize he was gone - I had heard it was his plan for 2011. I agree with your comment but it's always nice to go somewhere when the big chef is there. Maybe a bit irrational but I enjoy seeing Jean-Georges or Ripert walk the floor when I go their restaurants...

I've pretty much always eaten for less than $100 btw. Then again, I don't do omakase, just a selection of sushi I like and recommended specials. I also don't run an expensive alcohol tab - a beer or two for me.

14. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Didn't realize he was gone - I had heard it was his plan for 2011. I agree with your comment but it's always nice to go somewhere when the big chef is there. Maybe a bit irrational but I enjoy seeing Jean-Georges or Ripert walk the floor when I go their restaurants...

I've pretty much always eaten for less than $100 btw. Then again, I don't do omakase, just a selection of sushi I like and recommended specials. I also don't run an expensive alcohol tab - a beer or two for me.

Arghhhhhhhh Yasuda is gone?! fuck [​IMG]

15. juuceman

juuceman Senior member

few non-Japanese businessmen eat at Kuruma. Even fewer discuss food on a clothing board.