Best sushi in NYC

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by nahneun, Jan 23, 2011.

1. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

Hey all, I'm just wondering what you think is the best sushi restaurant in NYC? I've been to a few, but none have really WOWED me yet. I have yet to go to some of the more famous ones like Sushi Yasuda or Sasabune, but I would appreciate some insight [​IMG] Thank you!

2. Orange

Orange Senior member

masa for the full course it includes some sushi there and the quality is great. Kobe beef sushi, white truffle sushi, etc.

Kuruma Zushi is also really good.

3. the shah

the shah Persian Bro #2 and enabler-in-chief

jpan is pretty tasty

4. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Caveat: I'm just a tourist in NY.

I really liked Hibino in Brooklyn last time I was there in summer. Also went to Matsugen in Tribeca and thought it was pretty good, not great. I prefer less swanky, more neighborhood-y sushi.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

Hey all, I'm just wondering what you think is the best sushi restaurant in NYC? I've been to a few, but none have really WOWED me yet. I have yet to go to some of the more famous ones like Sushi Yasuda or Sasabune, but I would appreciate some insight [​IMG] Thank you!

[​IMG] if you tell me at least a month in advance i will go with you to sushi yasuda or masa

6. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

[​IMG] if you tell me at least a month in advance i will go with you to sushi yasuda or masa
    Here's your month in advance warning [​IMG] also, i think masa is part of restaurant week (which is this week and next, i think?). skip class, come down to nyc from ithaca, and let's go get some

7. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

15 East for sushi.

8. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

Here's your month in advance warning [​IMG]

also, i think masa is part of restaurant week (which is this week and next, i think?). skip class, come down to nyc from ithaca, and let's go get some

I'm in on this. I've always wanted to go, but none of my friends can rationalize the expense. I think going during restaurant week would be a bad idea though.

9. braised

braised Senior member

Blue Ribbon Sushi, have only tried the one in Brooklyn but its really well done. Ask for the horse mackeral - they serve a sashimi with a citrusy sauce and return with the entire fish rack deep fried and salted, which is a crunchy treat. B

10. nmprisons

nmprisons Senior member

really enjoyed my meal at Sushi Yasuda.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I'm a fan of Tomoe Sushi in the village. The long lines kind of suck, but once you get a table it's pretty smooth sailing from there.

12. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

I'm in on this. I've always wanted to go, but none of my friends can rationalize the expense. I think going during restaurant week would be a bad idea though.

i think restaurant week might be a bad idea as well, although i've never actually been to any restaurants for restaurant week

13. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

15 East for sushi.
    better than any of the other major players? 15 east is apparently about 100, sushi yasuda between 150 and 200, and masa is 450 for the omakase. -_- 450 is currently more than my monthly budget for food (i spend at most 300) so i want to count masa out.

14. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

-_- 450 is currently more than my monthly budget for food (i spend at most 300) so i want to count masa out.

Aww, shucks. [​IMG]

15. nahneun

nahneun Uncle Nephew

I'm a fan of Tomoe Sushi in the village. The long lines kind of suck, but once you get a table it's pretty smooth sailing from there.
    I've been to Tomoe and found it rather unremarkable. It was okay, but nothing exceptional. 7/10, and I'm a pretty generous grader. I don't think a 450 tasting menu is appropriate for most students and recent grads... :p I'd be willing to splurge on yasuda though if you come down from shithaca