• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Supplements for Skincare?

Sant'Omobono

Reaction score
I'm getting to the age where I need to start caring about this stuff. As I start to buy supps, I'm thinking of 2 groups:

Gotta Buy
Vitamin C
Omega-3s

The Maybes
And this is trickier, as I see unconclusive information on these supplements and their impact on skincare
Green Tea Caps
Alpha Lipolic Acid
Vitamin D3
DMAE
Curcumin
Evening Primrose Oil
Beta Carotene

So which of the Maybes deserve to be in the Gotta Buys. And anything I'm missing?

Thanks guys,
SO

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I would upgrade Green Tea and Curcumin to the top level.

turboman808

Reaction score
Maybe you already know this.

staying hydrated
good cardio exercise that causes alot of sweat
avoid alcohol
avoid smoking

I doubt any supplement is really going to do much.

Not really what you asked and I apologize if my response is unwanted.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^it seems like all of those studies are either from the company or by people related to the company.

also the product just seems like a mix of already available health supplements

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they are. But supposedly it's in the ratio that makes it so effective.

I believe some studies are being conducted at Harvard, currently. And there are a few others by some other pretty credible universities, as well.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
also by ppl related to the company or some third party lab?

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Third party, actually.

It was created back in the 70's by the scientist who discovered reactive oxygen species and antioxidants.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It comes in cream and oral form. I hear, for the case of skincare, it is very effective at preventing signs of aging and for use on scar tissue and inflammation.

The effect it has on the body as a whole is another story. Supposedly, it helps greatly with post workout recovery.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sant'Omobono
I'm getting to the age where I need to start caring about this stuff. As I start to buy supps, I'm thinking of 2 groups:

Gotta Buy
Vitamin C
Omega-3s

The Maybes
And this is trickier, as I see unconclusive information on these supplements and their impact on skincare
Green Tea Caps
Alpha Lipolic Acid
Vitamin D3
DMAE
Curcumin
Evening Primrose Oil
Beta Carotene

So which of the Maybes deserve to be in the Gotta Buys. And anything I'm missing?

Thanks guys,
SO

Go with cod liver oil for your Omega 3s. D3 should be on the essentials list for anyone who doesn't spend a LOT of time out in the sun, but the cod liver will cover that as well as the Omega 3s, so you don't need a separate supplement. DMAE probably shouldn't be included on the list. ALA won't be harmful and has the potential to be freaking awesome. Go high with the vitamin C supplements. 300-1000% RDA. The current RDA is bullshit.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Go with cod liver oil for your Omega 3s. D3 should be on the essentials list for anyone who doesn't spend a LOT of time out in the sun, but the cod liver will cover that as well as the Omega 3s, so you don't need a separate supplement. DMAE probably shouldn't be included on the list. ALA won't be harmful and has the potential to be freaking awesome. Go high with the vitamin C supplements. 300-1000% RDA. The current RDA is bullshit.

Totally agree on mega-dosing the Vit C - the current guidelines are silly. I do 2 grams daily.

Disagree on the cod liver oil. The EPA/DHA quantity / balance in standalone Omega-3 supps is far superior to cod liver oil.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am no expert, but I think supplements that work directly for skincare are things like Biotin and L-Cystein. Works for healthy hair as well.

Elusive

Reaction score
Hydration is the key and by far the best supplement is silica by MILES

The best food for skin is broth and chicken with the skin on for the glycine

sara9mx

Reaction score
Healthy diet and exercise is always good for skin as well as overall health

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads