• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best sunglasses for less than $100?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to have misplaced my prized Maui Jims. Until they turn up I am looking to find a budget pair that has good protection. Keep in mind I live in the Caribbean, so good sun protection is really a must for the eyes. Can anyone recommend a pair that is really good optically, but can be had for south of $100?

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had good luck with Costa Del Mar, pretty sure they are under $100. Check Sierratradingpost.com for some good deals.

cpac

Reaction score
I've bought a pair of Ray Bans for less than $100. Love 'em.

Nonk

Reaction score
I have a pair of Randolph Aviators, they cost much less than $100, are very well made, look great and are a classic design, and seem to be quite rare this side of the Atlantic too.

I love them.

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority here but I treat my sunglasses as disposable items as I always break/loose them. I buy mine at $15 a pop from PacSun - pretty reasonable quality and a wide variety of styles.

Panzer

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think replicas are really going to skimp on the eye protection. In fact, they may be worse on your eyes because they will block out some visible light so your pupil expands to compensate, but you then absorbs more UV rays.

I keep a $200 pair of Zeiss aviators in the car whenever I'm driving. I must admit, I do often lose my shades so I don't usually take them with me.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This may be a good opportunity to ask what are suitable sunglasses for when one is wearing a suit? Aviators? Metal and no plastic frames? Should your lens color match what you're wearing?

mkk

Reaction score
(Kent Wang) This may be a good opportunity to ask what are suitable sunglasses for when one is wearing a suit?
neo_scoop_nsbp00.jpg

cpac

Reaction score
This may be a good opportunity to ask what are suitable sunglasses for when one is wearing a suit? Aviators? Metal and no plastic frames? Should your lens color match what you're wearing?
I don't think there are going to be any hard and fast "rules" but certain things will always look better with others. Best idea is to put them on and see if they're right or wrong.

sleek metal Oakleys with reflective lenses would look odd with a tweed suit for example, but might look great with a sleeker looking suit.

Tortoise shell frames w/ black lenses will probably look good with just about anything, though some might prefer them with the less sleek looking suits...

sashae

Reaction score
Serengeti makes great lenses, and they're constantly available on the cheap on ebay...

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get those wrap-arounds that you see the older people wearing after visits to their opthamologists.

armscye

Reaction score
Dollar Store will do fine.

I developed advertising for a sunglass maker in the mid Nineties, and was briefed by an overly frank optics engineer.

Basically, ANY glass, polycarbonate, or CR-39 acrylic lens with a light transmission in the 10-14% range gives you the same level of UV A and UV B protection. In fact, clear glass lenses aren't much worse-- that's why you can't get a suntan driving around with your car windows closed-- because glass blocks UV very effectively.

So it all comes down to fashion. The Dollar Store sunglasses protect just as well.

That said, I wear RayBan Wayfarers-- because they look good on me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads