1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best sunglasses for less than $100?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Stu, May 11, 2005.

1. Stu

Stu Senior member

I seem to have misplaced my prized Maui Jims. Until they turn up I am looking to find a budget pair that has good protection. Keep in mind I live in the Caribbean, so good sun protection is really a must for the eyes. Can anyone recommend a pair that is really good optically, but can be had for south of $100?

2. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

I've had good luck with Costa Del Mar, pretty sure they are under $100. Check Sierratradingpost.com for some good deals.

3. cpac

cpac Senior member

I've bought a pair of Ray Bans for less than $100. Love 'em.

4. Nonk

Nonk Senior member

I have a pair of Randolph Aviators, they cost much less than $100, are very well made, look great and are a classic design, and seem to be quite rare this side of the Atlantic too.

I love them.

5. scnupe7

scnupe7 Senior member

I wear Ray Ban aviators.

6. Kai

Kai Senior member

7. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Senior member

I'm probably in the minority here but I treat my sunglasses as disposable items as I always break/loose them. I buy mine at $15 a pop from PacSun - pretty reasonable quality and a wide variety of styles.

Panzer

8. bachbeet

bachbeet Senior member

9. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think replicas are really going to skimp on the eye protection. In fact, they may be worse on your eyes because they will block out some visible light so your pupil expands to compensate, but you then absorbs more UV rays.

I keep a $200 pair of Zeiss aviators in the car whenever I'm driving. I must admit, I do often lose my shades so I don't usually take them with me.

10. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

This may be a good opportunity to ask what are suitable sunglasses for when one is wearing a suit? Aviators? Metal and no plastic frames? Should your lens color match what you're wearing?

11. mkk

mkk Senior member

[​IMG]

12. cpac

cpac Senior member

I don't think there are going to be any hard and fast "rules" but certain things will always look better with others. Best idea is to put them on and see if they're right or wrong.

sleek metal Oakleys with reflective lenses would look odd with a tweed suit for example, but might look great with a sleeker looking suit.

Tortoise shell frames w/ black lenses will probably look good with just about anything, though some might prefer them with the less sleek looking suits...

13. sashae

sashae Senior member

Serengeti makes great lenses, and they're constantly available on the cheap on ebay...

14. Horace

Horace Senior member

Get those wrap-arounds that you see the older people wearing after visits to their opthamologists.

15. armscye

armscye Senior member

Dollar Store will do fine.

I developed advertising for a sunglass maker in the mid Nineties, and was briefed by an overly frank optics engineer.

Basically, ANY glass, polycarbonate, or CR-39 acrylic lens with a light transmission in the 10-14% range gives you the same level of UV A and UV B protection. In fact, clear glass lenses aren't much worse-- that's why you can't get a suntan driving around with your car windows closed-- because glass blocks UV very effectively.

So it all comes down to fashion. The Dollar Store sunglasses protect just as well.

That said, I wear RayBan Wayfarers-- because they look good on me.

16. Stu

Stu Senior member

I might be a victim of marketing hype, but I can assure you that I've had $10 sunglasses and I've had $270 Maui Jims and my eyes notice a huge difference. Again, we are talking tropical sun, blinding sandy beaches, etc. things that really put shades to a test.

The thing about my Maui Jims is that my eyes feel at ease. No strain, just a natural feeling. $10 sunglasses tend to give me headaches.

17. YMark

YMark Well-Known Member

Not hardly. Ask any optometrist.

18. benchan

benchan Senior member

If you are talking about good UV filtering lens, those aren't expensive to produce at all.

But Maui Jim Lens are polarised as well, and therein lies the difference.

19. armscye

armscye Senior member

Proof, please? Five minutes of websurfing turns up a New Zealand consumer-testing report (below) that says that virtually all of the cheap sunglasses they tested provide at least 95% UV protection. Hmm, that's what I said. Or you can check any of the websites for the high-buck sunglasses, which will all cite conformity to the hallowed UV400 standard, indicating sunglasses that filter 100% of UV to 400 nanometer wavelengths. At lunch today I checked Rite Aid and the A&P, and could not find a pair of sunglasses at any price that were NOT marked UV400 and/or 100% UV protection. Same with my local Dollar Store. In fact, the biggest factor in UV transmission, according to icare4u.com, is positioning on the face: "sunglasses worn one-third of an inch down the nose admit ten times the light that might be admitted if the sunglasses were worn in proper position." Maybe we should spend less on sunglasses and more on tethers. I freely admit that there are issues related to frame strength that matter, and subtle details of detail perception that might be important to a rescue pilot. But in response to the above question about UV protection, the fact is that all modern sunglasses are provably equally effective. sunglasstest

20. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Ditto.