• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best summer blazer material

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually they are starting to be fairly popular with the more well known mills. Loro Piana and Zegna have these as well. I am actually lookingat the zegna one and its called silk linen (51% silk 49% linen). Fairly nice fabric actually. Nice sheen and slubby.

I think you don,t see alot of silk blends mentioned on SF because folks here don't like even the smallest amount of sheen what-so-ever.

I have a lovely silk-wool blend jacket for summer, as well as a slightly more 'fashion-foward' wool-lycra blend blazer (which still looks like a traditional boat club blazer, but it stretches...). I have no problem with a subtle sheen on materials that are supposed to have that quality (silk and mohair in particular), and I think the only reason why some people dislike it is because they associate it with shiny cheap modern polyster or poly-wool blend suits.

Fashion Fan

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm happy my thread created such a large discusson about the best summer blazer material. I wanna thank everyone for their feedback and knowledge. Based on the reccomendations I decided to get a BB Regent soft cotton jacket in navy blue. I got it tailored to be slim fitting since I'm young and I have an athletic build. Below are some fit pics that I would apprecaite some feedback on.

Thanks

Muotimies

Reaction score
I know this thread is quite old but I didn't see any reason to start a new thread when I could just dig this one up. So, I was considering this chino blazer from Bonobos but I can't decide how I feel about it. It definitely looks quite acceptable for summer wear but I wonder if the material is too thin. It almost looks flimsy or something. It's just hard to say. Opinions?

http://www.bonobos.com/navy-washed-chino-blazer-for-men

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I know this thread is quite old but I didn't see any reason to start a new thread when I could just dig this one up. So, I was considering this chino blazer from Bonobos but I can't decide how I feel about it. It definitely looks quite acceptable for summer wear but I wonder if the material is too thin. It almost looks flimsy or something. It's just hard to say. Opinions?

Personallly Ive had really bad luck with cotton jackets on the internet . The pictures arn't that good and its real easy for them to look like lab coats or cheap uniform jackets

Muotimies

Reaction score
So would you suggest linen then? I know seersucker would be a good summer weight but my wardrobe is large enough to justify a seersucker blazer over something a bit more versatile. Any specific blazer suggestions?¿ I would prefer navy.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For one thing, it is comically short.

I had a quick look through this thread. There are three things that determine how hot a particular fabric runs. First, the weave, second the weight and finally, what it is made from. A 100% wool, 8 oz panama weave will run very cool. A 14 oz. cotton twill will run pretty hot. Even linen can run surprisingly warm, depending on how heavy it is and the weave.

How warm a jacket is depends not only on the fabric but on the lining. 1/4 lined is obviously going to be cooler than a fully lined jacket. Though, of course, it won't drape as well, especially with lighter fabrics. Ermazine lining is cool relative to bemberg but you aren't likely to find much ermazine in RTW.

Anyway, don't just look at what the fabric is made of. In terms of usefulness in the heat, that's probably the least important factor.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

For one thing, it is comically short.

I had a quick look through this thread. There are three things that determine how hot a particular fabric runs. First, the weave, second the weight and finally, what it is made from. A 100% wool, 8 oz panama weave will run very cool. A 14 oz. cotton twill will run pretty hot. Even linen can run surprisingly warm, depending on how heavy it is and the weave.

How warm a jacket is depends not only on the fabric but on the lining. 1/4 lined is obviously going to be cooler than a fully lined jacket. Though, of course, it won't drape as well, especially with lighter fabrics. Ermazine lining is cool relative to bemberg but you aren't likely to find much ermazine in RTW.

Anyway, don't just look at what the fabric is made of. In terms of usefulness in the heat, that's probably the least important factor.

+1 my coolest jacket is 1/4 lined open weave wool

Muotimies

Reaction score
Ah ok, makes sense. So still, any manufacturer suggestions? I'm not really sure who makes a good blazer.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Ah ok, makes sense. So still, any manufacturer suggestions? I'm not really sure who makes a good blazer. 

Who makes a good blazer?Well that is really too general a question for any helpful response . Might as well ask who makes a good car. Personally I would start with LBM 1911 or Boglioli and go from there . Partial or unlined plus unstructured are key imo

Muotimies

Reaction score
Who makes a good blazer?Well that is really too general a question for any helpful response . Might as well ask who makes a good car. Personally I would start with LBM 1911 or Boglioli and go from there . Partial or unlined plus unstructured are key imo
I'm sorry, what more details should I supply when asking a question such as my previous one?¿ I had already stated that I was looking for a navy blazer to wear in warmer weather (summer months). I'm just not sure what else you would need to know. I don't see how my question is too general in this case. I could understand if somebody asked, "Who makes good shoes?" when there are tons of different types but even with that, I could see a simple response for manufacturers who turn out consistent quality. You don't have any specific manufacturers you turn to when looking to add a new blazer to your wardrobe?

But I do appreciate the suggestions that you gave.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads