• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best suits

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I know we had a thread on this some time back, but I would like to know how you would rank the makers who do private-label work. Â By private-label, I mean those who do clothing completely under another company's name (for example, Saint Andrews making RLPL suits), and not those who only do it for certain stores, for example, "Oxxford Clothes for Neiman-Marcus" or "Kiton for Bergdorf-Goodman." Â I've listed some here, but feel free to add makers, and please let me know if any of these I've listed do not do private-label work. I imagine that these makers have different lines of differing quality. Â Let's rank these manufacturers according to their best lines. Â Buttonholes must be sewn by hand. Â One more thing: I am not only a fan of non-fused lapels, but more specifically I like the pad stitching to be done by hand as I think it lends a cleaner look and really does result in a better roll than when the pad stitching is done by machine. Â Which of these makers do pad stitching by hand? Â I only know how some of them do it. Â I believe that Cheshire and D'Avenza do the pad stitching by machine. Â I think that Saint Andrews and maybe Lou Myles do the pad stitching by hand. Adrian Jules Balfour/Bilancia Belvest Canali Cantarelli Castangia Cerruti Cheshire Clothing Ciccarelli Cifonelli Coppley Corneliani d'Avenza Giliberto Isaia Lou Myles Martin Greenfield Saint Andrews Samuelsohn Southwick

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Makers on the list that can make a really top-quality RTW suit:

Castangia, Cheshire, D'Avenza, Isaia, Martin Greenfield, Saint Andrew's, and Belvest is pretty good, thought they do not do handmade buttonholes, at least for the US market.

To my knowledge, Gilliberto does custom suits only. Never heard of Ciccarelli. And Cifonelli suits are made by Nervesa.  

I don't think that any of those makers pad-stitch the lapels by hand, though I haven't cut all of them open. I have cut open a Cheshire (Chester Barrie) and a D'Avenza, as well as jackets from Canali, Samuelsohn, etc. All the lapels were done by machine. I haven't found suitably cheap and thrashed jackets from Brioni, Kiton Saint Andrew's etc to cut open, yet. I think that Oxxford, and maybe Kiton are the only RTW brands that pad-stitch the lapels by hand.

Keep in mind that EVERYONE does private label work. For instance, the line Oxxford did for Murray Pearlstein private label, the private label work that Brioni has done for Bijan, Sulka, and Mariano Rubinacci, etc.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Sorry for the slight diversion, but I recently came across a Louis Boston house label suit that was Made in the USA. Would it likely be a Greenfield?

banksmiranda

Reaction score
(Rocco) Ciccarelli is in Long Island City.
Kiton does the pad stitching on its lapels by machine. If you want to see it, you can view it on Kiton's web site (in the videos) and in Kiton's little book available at the Kiton store. The Louis Boston suit might have been made by Greenfield, but another possibility is Southwick, which is in Massachusetts.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add M.A.Co/R.Caruso to that list of companies who do private label work.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Just wondered, how much were the suits made by Oxxford under the Murray Pearlstein private label? I imagine that the Bijan suits made by Brioni were insanely expensive, but how about those made by Brioni for Sulka and Rubinacci?

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the original retail prices. I've sold Brioni/Bijan, Brioni/Rubinacci and Brioni/Sulka pieces, but they were all secondhand. The Brioni/Sulka suit was probably at least 20 years old. I would guess that the Bijan was probably the only suit that was priced significantly above an average Brioni retail price.

As for the Oxxford/M. Pearlstein line, perhaps someone in the Boston area could comment. There are supposed to be some pieces still available at Filenes, at least, that was the word a couple of months ago.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Kiton does the pad stitching on its lapels by machine. If you want to see it, you can view it on Kiton's web site (in the videos) and in Kiton's little book available at the Kiton store.

Right you are. (Checked the video.)

I wish somebody could tell me what exactly it is, if anything, that makes a Kiton more handmade than say, a Saint Andrew's. If there is a difference, it's obviously internal, and I have neither the knowledge of tailoring, nor the experience with the insides of a Kiton jacket to figure it out.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't Alex Kabbatz provide a list of those that did and did not do hand stitched pads? If I remember correctly, he said that Brioni and St. Andrews did on their RTWs.

naturlaut

Reaction score
I think the important thing is not merely about doing it by hand or machine.  One could do a rather bad job by hand, or an excellent job by machine, especially if the machines that we are talking about are function-specific.  Having something machine-made does not necessarily mean bad.  Machines are used by present-day artisans purely for the sake of increasing efficiency.  If it decreases the quality, it will most likely not to be used.  For example, as far as I could understand, no buttonhole machine can yet replace the fineness of hand-embroidering a button hole, so makers like Kiton, Isaia, etc., would still opt for the time-consuming hand embroidery on button holes.

banksmiranda

Reaction score
Yup, Alex did post info on that some time back on AskAndy.  I just dug up the content of the thread:

Handmade Canvas:
Custom tailors only (and not all custom tailors. )

Machine-Made Stock Sized Canvas, Hand-Felled:
Oxxford, Brioni, Belvest, St. Andrews, Polo Purple Label, HermÃ
00a9.png
s, Battistoni, Dunhill

Machine-Made Stock Sized Canvas, Machine-Felled:
Armani Black Label, Kiton, Polo Blue Label, Hickey Freeman, Alan Flusser, Mimmo Spano, Domenico Vacca, Ferragamo, Dunhill, Martin Greenfield

Fused Fronts:
Armani White Label, Calvin Klein, Joseph Abboud, Donna Karan, Burberry, Chaps, Southwick, Prada, Gucci, Boss

banksmiranda

Reaction score
I wish somebody could tell me what exactly it is, if anything, that makes a Kiton more handmade than say, a Saint Andrew's. If there is a difference, it's obviously internal, and I have neither the knowledge of tailoring, nor the experience with the insides of a Kiton jacket to figure it out.
I don't know that Kiton really is any more handmade than a Saint Andrews. Â Perhaps the buttonholes on some suits, but overall I really feel that Kiton's huge following and romanticized "mystique" is the result of a huge marketing machine - why else would Kiton spend $26 million to have its own boutique in NYC? Naturlaut, I agree on the buttonholes. Â There is no doubt in my mind that handsewn buttonholes are far superior to machinemade buttonholes on suits. Â However, I feel the same way about pad stitching. Â Oxxford does the pad stitching of its lapels by hand, and I really can tell a difference between the roll of the lapels of Oxxford and Kiton(I prefer Oxxford's). Â Doing the pad stitching by hand allows the person doing the sewing to manipulate the fabric and canvas to "sew in" the roll as seen below. Â Notice how they hold at an angle and "bend" the point which they're stitching? Maurice Sedwell:
picture4.gif
Oxxford:
stitching2.jpg
When this is done by machine it's just laid flat and sewn together, attached but without the same natural roll. Â Also, this is something that can't actually be seen in a finished suit(one would have to cut open the suit), but I hate the loose "loops" left by machines doing the pad stitching. Â You can see these "loops" in the videos on Kiton's web site or in Kiton's book, or here, in a pic from d'Avenza:
davenza_collar_2.jpg
Here in another pic from d'Avenza, though, the collar canvas appears to have been pad-stitched by hand:
davenza_collar.jpg
So it seems that d'Avenza uses both methods. Look at this absolutely beautiful work by Ferdinando Caraceni:
foto01.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------ Check out Kilgour's updated web site: http://www.8savilerow.com
Savile Row's most venerable tailor Kilgour, French & Stanbury has been re-branded with a new name, new clothing collection and new shop.
For Autumn Winter 2004, responding to continued demand for ultra lightweight clothing, we have re-constructed the classic Kilgour suit. Â Lining and trimmings constitute about 50% of the weight of the average suit (the balance is cloth). Â By quarter lining the jacket and removing some of the trimmings, Kilgour has produced a garment that is 25% lighter than a suit tailored in the traditional manner from the same cloth. The heavier fabrics traditionally used for winter have allowed us to maintain the elegant line, proportion and cut of our clothing but reduce the overall weight. Â It allows the customer to see the elegant needle work used in constructing the jacket - the inside is as beautiful as the outside. The half line system was conceived by Kilgour several seasons ago in response to a new approach to multi-functional clothing. Â The suits feature taped seams in contrast colours in the jacket making a stylistic virtue out of Savile Row's tailoring secrets, usually hidden from view. Â The system shows off the suits third dimension, the missing link between ordinary and the very best. Peter Savile said: "Carlo Brandelli, Kilgour's creative director, has remade the suit from inside out. Â Breaking down the suit in this way is incredibly modern and exciting".
------------------------------------------------------------ buttonholes: Oxxford:
stitch.jpg
stitching.jpg
d'Avenza:
davenza_buttonhole.jpg
Saint Andrews:
fase_05.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------ Here are some pics which A Harris had posted some time back: Canali:
Canalismall.jpg
Chester Barrie:
ChesterBarriesmall.jpg
d'Avenza(notice Bijan's logo on the lining?):
davenzasmall.jpg

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
d'Avenza(notice Bijan's logo on the lining?):

Yep, it was a silk jacket, made for Bijan by D'Avenza.

I think the important thing is not merely about doing it by hand or machine. One could do a rather bad job by hand, or an excellent job by machine, especially if the machines that we are talking about are function-specific. Having something machine-made does not necessarily mean bad. Machines are used by present-day artisans purely for the sake of increasing efficiency. If it decreases the quality, it will most likely not to be used. For example, as far as I could understand, no buttonhole machine can yet replace the fineness of hand-embroidering a button hole, so makers like Kiton, Isaia, etc., would still opt for the time-consuming hand embroidery on button holes.

I agree completely. I not really concerned with which is better (it gets extremely subjective at the top end of the price range) but Kiton does make a big deal about how their suits are more handmade than everyone else. So I'm just wondering what exactly the difference is.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics