• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best suits from Men's Wearhouse *promo*

vinnyland

Reaction score
I know Men's Wearhouse is not the best place to get a suit but recently saw a commercial claiming turning in an old suit (will donate to the needy ) and getting any suit for 50% off. I have an old suit that I bought when I was younger and now I am swimming in it. Looking to find some quality suits from MW.

For what it's worth, my suit wardrobe consists of:
JCrew Ludlow suit (black wool)
JCrew Ludlow suit (navy oxford cotton)
Thick as Thieves conservative cut (medium grey)

Open to suggestions. I understand that there are better suits out there but going to see if this deal still works.

Millerp

Reaction score
"Quality" is not usually associated with MW on this forum. A search of the forum will yield many alternatives.

Having said that, if you find a MW suit that has a style you like, fits you well (possibly with some tailoring), is a price you are happy with and you like the way you look, go for it.

Last edited:

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like the J. Crew Ludlow suit, I would wait for them to go on sale. Better suit than what you can find at MW.

vinnyland

Reaction score
Only reason I would consider MW is because of this deal. Trade in an old one for 50% off another.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like such a great deal to me. You get 50% off (and many places get close to this during semi-annual sales and the like) and have to give them one of your old suits. I guess if the suit in question doesn't fit you it's not such a huge loss, but this sounds more like a gimmick than a worthwhile deal.

jrasero

Reaction score
What is your height and measurements?

You say you wear a Ludlow which is typically a slimmer cut suit for trimmer people

with that said I think Men's Wearhouse is a good place to look, but even with their promos you can still get a better deal (money wise) at somewhere like Century 21 or Nordstrom Rack or Bloomingdales when they have sales. The real benefit of Men's Wearhouse isn't quality or even style but size selection. I wear a 35S and for years I wore too big suits because 38S and 36S were the smallest I could find. Plus Men's Wearhouse has a vast selection of slim fit suits

With all this being said if you paid $400 each for Ludlow suits I think you won't be let down by Joseph Abboud, Jack Victor, Calvin Klein ETC. Now are these great brands or even quality, no but they are suits that will fit better than Joseph A. Banks and last longer than your bargain basement suits.

Again for me it came down to fit, which is the number one thing you should be looking for anyways. Their better brands are $650 and usually they have some kind of deal of buy oen suit get another $100 (or even free). That comes to $750 or $375 a suit. Right now Calvin Klein suits are on sale for $500 and buy one get one $100, so $600 for two suits or $300 each.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Just sell your suits that don't fit and use the funds to purchase new ones.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem like such a great deal to me. You get 50% off (and many places get close to this during semi-annual sales and the like) and have to give them one of your old suits. I guess if the suit in question doesn't fit you it's not such a huge loss, but this sounds more like a gimmick than a worthwhile deal.

+1 to this. They probably run half-off sales every other month. This is just a gimmick for guys, like OP, who don't know better.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I know Men's Wearhouse is not the best place to get a suit but recently saw a commercial claiming turning in an old suit (will donate to the needy ) and getting any suit for 50% off. I have an old suit that I bought when I was younger and now I am swimming in it. Looking to find some quality suits from MW. 

For what it's worth, my suit wardrobe consists of:
JCrew Ludlow suit (black wool)
JCrew Ludlow suit (navy oxford cotton) 
Thick as Thieves conservative cut (medium grey) 

Open to suggestions. I understand that there are better suits out there but going to see if this deal still works. 

If you like this gimmick, why not just wait fora a Jos Banks "Buy 1 get 3 free" sale?

In all seriousness, MW is not going to get much love on this site, as others have mentioned. At that price point you're getting cheaper wool and shoddier construction. So before we go too far into the rabbit hole, what is it that is really drawing you to MW and away from JCrew or MTM. Usually once you go MTM you don't go back, so what don't you like about TaT?

manchambo

Reaction score
You can regularly get fifty percent off much better suits by going to off saks, last call, Nordstrom rack, Dillard's, Gilt, shopthefinest, to name a few.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads