• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Suit?? Norstroms Rack, 3-Day Suit Broker, Mens Warehouse or Mens USA??

drew4392

Reaction score
Hello--

I'm new to the forum, and would really appreciate some feedback on a topic. I'm looking to buy a few suits, and am just learning the in's and out's of various brands/materials.

I see this "Mens USA" place advertise a Super Wool 150 suit for $140. I'm tempted, but concerned because how can a 'nice' suit cost this little?

THen I am thinking about Nordstroms Rack, as they have clearance suits for $250 or so. They are name brand suits. Kenneth Cole, Canalli (sp?), etc.

Then, there is 3-day suit broker and mens warehouse. 3-day suit broker is known for inexpensive suits, but concerned about quality? Mens warehouse has a 2-for-1 deal, and I'm think about that.

I'm sure you can see where I am coming from and would like to get pointed in the right direction.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

THanks,

Andrew

Vittorio J

Reaction score
The most important factor in purchasing a suit is fit...I bought 6 suits "on sale" when I first started working and it was the biggest waste of money...find a good tailor and if you can afford one, get a suit that is custom fit...worth every penny...believe me...

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are only going to get junk for $140. If you post up your budget, then people can guide you on your best choice for the money you are willing to spend.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can get Canali suits for $250 and they're a decent fit, do so.

I would second the suggestion that you browse the forum for guidance on getting the most for your money with suit purchases. If at all possible, take your time.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Concentrate on the best fit for your budget.

drew4392

Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

My budget is about $250/ea. Fit seems to be stressed, so I'm concentrate on that when buying.

I'll definitely search the forum and read other discussions. Thanks for the tip.

I figured if a suit is $140, its probably junk.

Thanks!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just to mention... your current ideas of what "fit" means will likely/hopefully change the more you read and look at pictures on this site. I had a whole frame shift away from my father's frumpy style, which I had always thought was just how a suit fit. Also, your idea of how much a suit can/should cost might need to change. The fact is, at the $100-500 range in general there aren't much differences. Sure there are good suits at $300-500 but you have to know what you're doing. Above $500, there are just fewer crappy suits so you need to know less to get the same thing.

So take some time, learn what to look for in terms of fabric, how to know if the suit is well made, and the major fit points criteria (shoulders, neck, length, etc). Also, take and later retake all your measurements so you know what you're looking for before going. your actual "size" may surprise you.

Fit on the most expensive suit you can find, see if you notice a difference. Not that price means better fit, but you may notice the difference in how it feels, drapes, etc. Ie, drive a ferrari at least once before buying a kia. You may be pursuaded to then buy a lexus. After spending months on the forum, eventually you'll end up buying an Aston Martin, or some obscure rare vintage car...

I realize the sales are on Now, but don't waste money. One $500 suit that fits you great is better then 2 that don't. Feel amazing, not just "passable/acceptable/"

Anyway, just my $0.02, hopefully some of it useful

phillyesq

Reaction score
Once you learn your size, ebay can be a great asset, if you find a tailor that you trust. Sizing and fit varies a bit between brands, but if you find a brand and know your sizing, you may be able to find a few suits on ebay. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for a first suit, but it can be a great resource for suits that you have in the rotation.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice is to read the forum and learn as much as you can about who makes decent quality suits and scrounge like hell for bargains. You'll be amazed at what you can find if you're patient and look LOTS. One of the biggest bummers that I'm sure (hoping for my sake) everyone does is that they start learning and go out and grab the first decent deal they see in an effort to upgrade their wardrobe. It might be six months later that you look at that suit and wonder why you bought it realize that you don't like to wear it - which is a waste of $.

If you're in a big metro area look at Nordsrom Rack, Saks Off 5th, Nieman Marcus Last Call, RL outlet, brooks brothers outlet -even some TJ Maxx carry really quality brands (I've never seen this but others on the forum have had luck). Also, check the B&S forum as much as you can. And get really familiar with the Microsoft live.com cashback setup. That can be a great deal.

Examples of recent deals I've seen or bought:

- I bought a Hickey Freeman suit from a forum member for $300 new with tags, which he was kind enough to run through ebay so I could use the live.com 25% cashback, so my net cost was $225 for a fully canvassed suit. Not exactly the suit I would have picked off the rack, but a damn good deal for a workhorse work suit.

- I was at Off 5th yesterday and they are running their suits $100 off. Some of them are just OK deals, but they had a Zegna suit for $400 before discount. Not my size(44S before I get a buch of PM's) , but $300 for a new Zegna suit is a great deal.

- NM Last Call is currently running some of their suits and jackets at 40% off. If you can find one that's already marked down and tack on another 40% you can get a good deal.

- The Brooks Brothers outlet that I go to every now and then gets a shipment of either custom or altered suits that were never picked up. Sometimes it's just that they've been hemmed or taken in and the customer didn't come back or refused the garment. You can find a good deal every now and then that way.

Whatever you get, take it to a competent tailor and spend the extra $ to make sure it fits well. Spend the time reading the forum to learn who makes good garments and who doesn't. Before I came to SF I assumed Hugo Boss suits were good b/c they're more expensive than a low end brooks or Joe Banks suit. Turns out, they're not made that well.

Lastly, there's a good handfull of forum members that sell very nice clothing in their ebay stores. That can be a great way to get a REALLY nice garment for what you might pay for a cheap suit at the store. Some of them are:

topshelfapparel
World-Class-Consignment
Sartoriale
mack11211

I'm sure there are others, so sorry if you sell regularly on ebay and I forgot your store - please add it.

Anyhow, good luck and have fun.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd go to different stores and try on as many different brands as possible to see what you look and don't like. Remember, sizes differ from brand to brand. Once you've figured what you like browse the buy and sell of this forum and ebay.

celeste_pista

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
I'd go to different stores and try on as many different brands as possible to see what you look and don't like. Remember, sizes differ from brand to brand. Once you've figured what you like browse the buy and sell of this forum and ebay.

Originally Posted by RLP
amazing topic i might agree

quality over quantity

but buy what you please
smile.gif

op was two years ago...he probably found his suits by now...

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by celeste_pista
op was two years ago...he probably found his suits by now...

I certainly hope he has.

SilverStar23

Reaction score
I love going to Northridge Suit Outlet. The prices and quality they have are unmatched anywhere They have an everyday deal but from time to time they do unbelievable sales where I end up buying over 15 suits. Yes you read that right 15 suits. overall excellent place to shop period.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You'd be better off waiting for Jos Bank to do his buy one get 6 free sale. That's right, SIX free!

Only...at Joooseph A. Bank.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads